Here is my custom 308, she is 97% done and I am durn proud to call her mine.

Southernfryedyankee

I have been building this rifle for a lil over a year. I just received my Vortex Viper PST FFP W/MRAD Reticle yesterday and got her all setup (just not sighted) I am REALLY loving that scope, I cant wait to see this rifles performance. I have 220 rounds of 175 grain federal gold medal match ammo on the way. The last few things I would like to finish this rifle with is a new trigger, custom bolt handle and bottom metal W/ drop box magazine. I did the camo and metal finish myself. The brown in this camo looks very yellow but it is not, it is a nice flat brown that really compliments this camo pattern. Please let me hear yalls opinions be it good or bad.
DSCN6851.jpg

DSCN6844.jpg

Thank you and absolutely.

Remington 700 bluprinted and opened up for 8-40 screws
Rock Creek 24" M24 contour barrel with 5R rifling
Rock Creek competition recoil lug
Stock is a Wild Dog SA-TA2 Bedded (I did the bedding)
EGW HD base and practical 30MM scope rings (scope base has been opened up to accept 8-40 screws)

The scope is wicked, I really like it. There are 1 or 2 MINOR details I would change but that is completely based off of personal preferance.

Very Very nice

What do you think of the scope so far? Manners stock? Can we get a few more details on the rifle?

im just curious about the scope.

Is it the FFP model? is it 6-24 or 4-16? how does the glass compare to similar scopes that you own? Im hoping to find how it compares to the VX-3, Nightforce, Sightron, and Zeiss. I figured the Nightforce and zeiss would have better glass, and the sightron, Vx-3 and the Viper should all be close. I read a few times that the PST's glass is close to the sightron, and close to the Nightforce surprisingly. i was just curious. Im on the market for a scope and im seriously debating the 4-16 model

Matt_3479 The scope is the 4-16x50 model. The glass is very clear, I cant really take it out to look through it as if I walked out of my apartment with a rifle chances are someone would fall to pieces hahahaha. The only scopes I have ever bought for my rifles were Nikons and I have not done a side by side comparison but the Vortex's glass is very clear and crisp. I am impressed.

Ceilingman, I used an automotive finish called VHT in satin black, here is the link to the actual product. It is decently good for a finish, I just wanted something I could do a quick touch up with should I need 1

VHT Epoxy All Weather Paint

NW Hunter, OMG the cutouts were such a PITA. I used 8" long strips of 3-4" masking tape (NOT painters tape) and layed that on parchment paper. I then drew my stencils with a pencil and cut every single 1 of them, pulled the tape CAREFULLY from the parchment paper and wrapped to my desired pattern. I will say this, I was smoking cigs at the time and if I wasnt smoking I would have probably NEVER completed the camo job, thats how stressful and tedious it was.

Southrenfriedyankee,

WOW! I have looked at the pattern over and over and I'll be damned if I can figure out how you kept your sanity. All I can figure is you made all the shapes at one time on your tape/parchment paper. Then you peeled each one off and applied them to the stock with the same orientation that they were on the parchment-like a jigsaw puzzle? Then you peeled off selected pieces of tape from the stock and painted those areas. Next you reapplied the tape over the painted areas when it was dry and repeated the process with different pieces and paint colors. Repeat this over and over until done?

Man, I got a headache just thinking about it!

Am I even close?

Actually you are pretty close. I didnt jigsaw it as I didnt want it to look like the pieces fit, sometimes I could make 2 stencils from 1 piece of tape sometimes 3, I made 2 seperate sections of tape stencils at atime to make the pattern as random as possible. If I had 2 flat edges I put flat edge to flat edge and overlapped them. I wish I could explain it better but you are close. I dont know what was harder the cutting or the pulling the tape from the parchment as BOTh were killers. The stencils and painting alone took over a week. I actially worked my way down from the top of the stock.

Southrenfriedyankee,

WOW! I have looked at the pattern over and over and I'll be damned if I can figure out how you kept your sanity. All I can figure is you made all the shapes at one time on your tape/parchment paper. Then you peeled each one off and applied them to the stock with the same orientation that they were on the parchment-like a jigsaw puzzle? Then you peeled off selected pieces of tape from the stock and painted those areas. Next you reapplied the tape over the painted areas when it was dry and repeated the process with different pieces and paint colors. Repeat this over and over until done?

Man, I got a headache just thinking about it!

Am I even close?

Southernfriedyankee,

Thanks for the details. I think I could make an atempt if I got ramped up to do it. What type of paint did you use?

The biggest trick is to get an exacto knife with the replaceable pointy blades and replace them as soon as they start to feel like tthey are dulling. i used krylon and rustoleum.

Southernfriedyankee,

Thanks for the details. I think I could make an atempt if I got ramped up to do it. What type of paint did you use?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.