Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Creedmoor

Want something more capable? Take a look at the Browning BLR's...

^^^
Could be. Not a lever gun fan so I'm fairly ignorant on their designs; I was referring to the feeding mechanism, I've never seen a lever action that wasn't fed by a tubular magazine (and obviously couldn't be the case with pointy boolits..)

Granted, a chambering like the 6.5 Creed is good for thousands of rounds of barrel life- but given it's a barrel extension setup I wonder what's involved with rebarreling when the time comes...worth considering when making the purchase, unless it's many years before the OP's father would reach that.

I shot one of my uncle's, he has a 30-06 BLR, and if it was my gun, I would have shot it once and sent it straight to a smith - I couldn't believe how hard the trigger pull was on it, and per him - it's just not a very accurate gun after trying many different ammo loads through it. Obviously it's just one gun, but it did not inspire me when I read that others had similar experiences.
I would venture to guess the trigger on the BLR was the main culprit for it not being very accurate with the many different ammo tried.
I had a BLR lightweight 81 in 243 and after some trigger work by my gunsmith it was quite accurate using Remington cor lokt or federal power shock. I liked being able to use pointed bullets in the box magazine compared to other lever actions I've had with the tube.

^^^
Could be. Not a lever gun fan so I'm fairly ignorant on their designs; I was referring to the feeding mechanism, I've never seen a lever action that wasn't fed by a tubular magazine (and obviously couldn't be the case with pointy boolits..)

Granted, a chambering like the 6.5 Creed is good for thousands of rounds of barrel life- but given it's a barrel extension setup I wonder what's involved with rebarreling when the time comes...worth considering when making the purchase, unless it's many years before the OP's father would reach that.
In this case, I don't think it's a consideration - he bench shoots a little bit but, for something like this he would never get enough rounds through it to worry about given it would primarily be a hunting rifle.

If I remember correctly, his Marlin 30-30 is like that as well...I don't remember seeing a safety on that either.
Marlin's used to be like that where there wasnt a manual safety...you could slightly cock the hammer back one click as the "safety" and then pull it the whole way back to fire. They changed that in the later years where you still have the one click back but they also had a manual push button safety. I wonder if they have heavier triggers to prevent accidental fires.

So an update to those invested on this - I went in a completely different direction, 6.5 PRC from Bergara (B-14 wilderness terrain). I'll probably drop a new trigger in it for him and do all the cleanup for him as well as any lapping/bedding. Thanks for the input everyone!

What about a browning blr! I have a 270win and the trigger breaks at 5.75# without any trigger work/adjustments. It has a VERY smooth action. Next up would be a 300wm or 264wm (if 1 were made). 338lm would be pushing my luck 🤣

What about a browning blr! I have a 270win and the trigger breaks at 5.75# without any trigger work/adjustments. It has a VERY smooth action. Next up would be a 300wm or 264wm (if 1 were made). 338lm would be pushing my luck 🤣
Simply put, my one time experience with one, and the number of complaints I've read about - I just don't feel comfortable buying one as a gift, that may immediately turn into a gunsmith bill for my old man.