help

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by yoda, Nov 7, 2008.

1. yoda

yoda Well-Known Member

heres my problem, i'm right handed left eye domit, i mean i can close my right eye and not my left so i shot left hand not to bad but when it comes to shooting a bolt action rifle its a bit ackward, what can i do about this./.

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

You mean you can't physically close your left eye? Are you shooting a left handed rifle? A left handed gun may improve the ergonomics.

3. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

I'm the same way, born right handed became left eye dominant due to a surgery on the right eye. So if I want a bolt action rifle I normaly have them built LH, I currently have 7 LH bolts, 4 are full house customs, 2 semi customs, and 1 bone stock.
    if ya wanna fix your problem prepare to spend some cash.
    RR

4. gbp

gbp Well-Known Member

Funny, I am the same way left eye dominant so therefore all my rifles I shoot left handed but right action. All the stocks are either ambidextrious (A5's etc.) or custom left handed with right action fit. Been doing it for 40+ years so anything else seems awkward

5. kcebcj

kcebcj Well-Known Member

My son is left eye dominate and I have a cousin that is the same way and they both shoot left handed and use right action rifles. They are both very fine marksman and can chamber a load as quick as anyone. Don’t worry about it it’s no big deal.

6. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

I've made some weaver style bases for guys just like you. They are a little bulky for a sporter rifle but they do work. It's a one piece base that screws fast to the top of the action same place as the regular bases would go but extends 3" to the left. This is where the weaver style rail is machined. The rings mount on same as usual only the scope is sitting 3" to the left of the action. Now you can shoot right handed but use your left eye to look through the scope.

7. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I get around this by closing my left eye when I shoot, this is with a rifle or shotgun. The left eye dominance is only a problem if BOTH eyes are open.
    I know closing one eye is not recommended when using a shotgun, but it does help.
    Some of the competition shooters will wear glasses with a cover over the eye they need to close, I think is to stop muscle fatigue when shooting for a long time.

Hope this helps,

Stu.

8. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member