help

yoda

heres my problem, i'm right handed left eye domit, i mean i can close my right eye and not my left so i shot left hand not to bad but when it comes to shooting a bolt action rifle its a bit ackward, what can i do about this./.

You mean you can't physically close your left eye? Are you shooting a left handed rifle? A left handed gun may improve the ergonomics.

I'm the same way, born right handed became left eye dominant due to a surgery on the right eye. So if I want a bolt action rifle I normaly have them built LH, I currently have 7 LH bolts, 4 are full house customs, 2 semi customs, and 1 bone stock.
if ya wanna fix your problem prepare to spend some cash.
RR

Funny, I am the same way left eye dominant so therefore all my rifles I shoot left handed but right action. All the stocks are either ambidextrious (A5's etc.) or custom left handed with right action fit. Been doing it for 40+ years so anything else seems awkward

My son is left eye dominate and I have a cousin that is the same way and they both shoot left handed and use right action rifles. They are both very fine marksman and can chamber a load as quick as anyone. Don't worry about it it's no big deal.

I've made some weaver style bases for guys just like you. They are a little bulky for a sporter rifle but they do work. It's a one piece base that screws fast to the top of the action same place as the regular bases would go but extends 3" to the left. This is where the weaver style rail is machined. The rings mount on same as usual only the scope is sitting 3" to the left of the action. Now you can shoot right handed but use your left eye to look through the scope.

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I get around this by closing my left eye when I shoot, this is with a rifle or shotgun. The left eye dominance is only a problem if BOTH eyes are open.
I know closing one eye is not recommended when using a shotgun, but it does help.
Some of the competition shooters will wear glasses with a cover over the eye they need to close, I think is to stop muscle fatigue when shooting for a long time.

Hope this helps,

Stu.

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I get around this by closing my left eye when I shoot, this is with a rifle or shotgun. The left eye dominance is only a problem if BOTH eyes are open.
I know closing one eye is not recommended when using a shotgun, but it does help.
Some of the competition shooters will wear glasses with a cover over the eye they need to close, I think is to stop muscle fatigue when shooting for a long time.

Hope this helps,

Kiwi is right!!!!

This is more common than you think and can be solved in several ways.

The simple thing to do is close the left eye.

A lot of target shooters have this malady and solve it buy training the right
eye by shooting lots of rounds with a blinder over the left eye. there are
shooting glasses that have a flip up blinder on them allowing the shooter
to use both eyes for normal function and then its fliped down for shooting.

If you are right handed I would recomend shooting right handed because of
natural position and trigger control will tend to be better.some people can
master this easer than others.

you can even try an eye patch when hunting and just before the shot cover
the eye if you have trouble keeping it closed.

Just a recomendation
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts