Help with Savage project

omega1

I got the .338 Edge bug and decided I would use a Savage action as the foundation. I bought an old 110 long action and have run into a few problems. I bought a Rifle Basix trigger and found the action I have is so old it does not lend itself to the after-market upgrade. It has a different safety than the newer models. Can I replace the safety and or trigger assembly with the newer style? I also bought a magnum bolt head assembly and found that it is not a direct swap either. Can I modify the bolt body or the new bolt head to make them work or do I just need to buy a newer action? Thanks for any advice.

Sounds like you have an early 110 made from 1959-1966.

The short answer is yes, it would be easier to find a different action unless you got that one for super cheap.

If you want to keep it, you'll need a bunch of parts. Off the top of my head, I'll try to type my way through it.

For the trigger you'll need: Trigger bracket, safety bar, safety bearing pin, sear pin, sear, sear spring, trigger, trigger pin/clip.

Bolt head. I'm not sure why they won't swap. It looks like they should.

Once you've swapped bolt heads you'll have to throw the barrel away as they aren't compatible with the modern style boltheads.

Here's some threads on Savage Shooters that explain what you have.

Login

Login

Controlled round feed

Another question. One of the links said that a new style bolt can work in the older style action with modifications. Does anyone know what the modifications consist of? I don't want to get in over my head.

Well I went out to the safe and dug out my old 30-06 110L and grabbed a spare bolthead.

Everything went together normal until I went to put the bolt in the action. The only thing obviously wrong was the firing pin protrusion. I suspected that would be off anyway.

The next thing I noticed was the bolt handle was in a weird direction. I didn't think too much of it because I always put the bolt handle on wrong the first time.

I took the bolt back out and took a better look. Then it was obvious. The bolt heads are very different and so is the bolt body. They are 90 degrees different.

S8001626.jpg

So, add a long action bolt body to the list of stuff to be replaced. A new style bolt head was already on the list, right?

Then there is the firing pin diameter problem. Recently Savage went with a smaller diameter firing pin to make the bolt head retaining pin stronger. So you can drill out the bolt head to match your old firing pin, or you can order a new firing pin and bolt head retaining pin when you're ordering all your other parts.

Sorry I didn't have better news.

Thanks again. I see that Midway has the entire bolt assembly with magnum bolt head for under $100 but I'm not sure it will work in an older action. Can you enlighten me on this? Hate to invest in this if it won't work.

I'm sure it would work. But that will be another $100.

Unless you got that action for free you might be better off selling it and buying a Stevens 200 in 7mmMag or 300win. A couple places local have them for less than $300.

You're going to be close to $200 in parts getting that old 110 up to speed.

Before you totally scrap your pre-66 project here is what I did ...I paid 25$ for the original 7MM mag from a pawn shop...It came in a cardboard box...All the magazine parts were loose, bent and broken, My plan was to use a single shot follower anyway (of which I fabricated one from aluminum plate at home)....I bought a new bolt body from SSS for around $25 dollars a new bolt head from midway for about the same and a small firing pin from Midway (around $5).....The firing pin did require me to do a little threading on the firing pin body to attain correct protrusion and timing but with the magnum bolt head you will be using (which I believe is a little longer) that me not even be a problem.

I first installed a Timney trigger with all the small parts from another newer action.....It worked great....But while working on another build I "borrowed" the
Timney and re-installed the original factory trigger on the pre-66....These triggers are very adjustable and I got it down around 3 lbs without a stone..I am sure you could get less with a little work...To me it is not as good as my Timneys but very close, much better than the later 3 screw savage triggers...

BTW it has a 26" Douglas varmint tube in 25-06 and usually shoots .5s but my best group to date is a .6 at 300 yards.....My total price in the action was less than $100...That left me more to spend on the tube and stock which is a B&C Duramax..

Good luck,
Randy

Thanks Randy

I haven't scrapped the project yet, just shelved it for now. I found a newer 110 at a pawn shop and just finished the .338 Edge. I plan on pulling out the old action soon and putting another barrel and stock on it. I just need to find a good barrel to start this new project. Did you have to modify any of the small parts (safety) to get an after market trigger to work?

Thanks again.

If I remember right I did not have to modify any of the small parts but they all came off a newer action as mentioned earlier...Seems to me I did a little fitting with a small file on the action itself..but very minimal to fit the timney trigger...Once all assembled it worked perfect...
Good luck again,
randy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts