help with rings and bases???

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by ker2222, Sep 10, 2004.

1. ker2222

ker2222 Member

I am thinking about putting burris signature or burris signature zee rings on my new rem 700 ltr. I am really at a loss at this scope mounting stuff and was hoping for some help:

I plan on doing mostly target shooting out to about 700 yards max plus some prairie dog hunting. I generally take good care of my equipment but don't baby anything either.

I am mounting a Leupold Mark 4 PR 4.5x14 40mm obj scope with a 30mm tube.

I plan on keeping the rifle pretty much stock until I practice enough to warrant making a full blown custom job of the rifle--about the time I imagine I'll need a new barrel. That's why I like the idea of the burris rings with their synthetic rings to suck up whatever slop there is in its factory status.

So:
    1. Are the burris rings good and, if so, which ones--signature or signature zees.

2. What base?? I want something strong and reliable. I will be doing a lot of prone shooting out to about 700 yards

3. What height rings??

I hope you guys can help as I can't wait to get to the range.

2. johnny k.

johnny k. Well-Known Member

ker,
    I have only used the Burris mounts/ring system once, but can say that yes, they are good. I went with the Signature series (I think) and the insert kit (additional .005, .010 & .020" inserts). The bases and rings are the Dual dovetail design, which I personally like. I usually go with the Leupold Dual Dovetail 2 piece system but couldn't get it for rifle that I purchased so I went with Burris and have zero regrets. Hope this helps. Johnny K.