help with rem 700 mag problems

tikkahunter

i put this in rifles section but this might be a better spot for it.
i recently bought a model 700xcr .300 rum and while checking rounds i noticed that it wouldn't cycle 1 round out of the magazine. So i put all three rounds in magazine and when i cycle the bolt the top round jumps out of gun and the 2nd round does the same thing and the last round starts to go out and then the rear of shell drops a little bit and bolt rides over it and stops. I also have a 338 rum and I took the box and spring-follower from it out and put it in the 300 and worked for a little while and then started doing the same thing. I have learned alot from this site and was hoping someone would have an answer thanks -Andy

Start by taking a pair of pliers and bending the very top of the magazine box outward a little at a time. That makes the round sit further under the feed rails, and stops them from jumping out.

The "W" in the spring may need to be bent a little further apart, giving more pressure to the follower for the last round.

Guns that don't feed a real PITA, but when you get one to work by yourself, it makes you wanna set down and have a smoke......:D

I have had the same problem with mine. Mine is a 7mmRUM, and I just replaced the whole spring and shell plate with one out of a Browning A bolt magazine. The scissor spring works every time. The cartridges wouldn't jump out of mine, but what yours is doing on the last round is what mine did all of the time. It would get very bound up, and if I would have applied much force it would've surely damaged the case.

So i got it working it took a couple things to get it right. I met the guy i bought it from and we swapped the bottom metal,spring and follower from his 375 rum and that fixed the last round jamming problem and the first round jumping out also, so he ordered a new spring and follower But not the 2nd round popping out so we tried nosler custom ammo and it fed fine but not my rem reloads, still cant figure that one out
but i got to looking at the bolts from my 300 rum (the one im having problems with) and my 338 rum and swapped them and it worked great so i looked at the bolts and in the middle bottom of the boltface on the 300 there was a pronounced lip and not on the 338 bolt so i carefully polished the bolt face down a little at a time and it started working. so all i can think is, it was made wrong at the factory. But why did the nosler custom rounds work

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.