Help with long range rifle purchase

dales

I am looking to purchase a long range hunting rifle. I have just about decided to get a 300 win mag. The problem I am having is that I want to get a custom made rifle that is very accurate but when you look at some of the custom shops you will need to spend around 3500.00. This seems very expensive for a purchase of something that you have not seen till you get it, nor have fired to see if it is worth the cost. Any one have any suggestions. I was going to get a Montana barelled action and put it together myself till I read on this site that that was probably not a good idea. What about a McWhorter. I don't think our local gun smith would do a very good job. He uses the Montana action. Any help is appreciated.

Keep reading around in here You will find a smith right here you can trust.....these guys arent doing this for money they do it because they love it!

Look at a lawton action.

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking to purchase a long range hunting rifle. I have just about decided to get a 300 win mag. The problem I am having is that I want to get a custom made rifle that is very accurate but when you look at some of the custom shops you will need to spend around 3500.00. This seems very expensive for a purchase of something that you have not seen till you get it, nor have fired to see if it is worth the cost. Any one have any suggestions. I was going to get a Montana barelled action and put it together myself till I read on this site that that was probably not a good idea. What about a McWhorter. I don't think our local gun smith would do a very good job. He uses the Montana action. Any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your are correct. Keep in mind a custom rifle is nothing more than an action, a good barrel and chamber job and a properly fitted stock. Scopes, rings and bases are your preference and are not part of the custom rifle as these are over the counter items..If you start with a custom action, then you have a solid platform for whatever you desire. For example:

Custom Hall Express-- $1100
Match Grade Barrel-- $300
Chamber and crown of barrel-- $175
Stock-- $400
Fit Stock-- $250
Trigger-- $225
Rings and Bases-- $200

Total-----> $2700 roughly

And, this is with a custom action and not a machined Remington. If you are not in this ballpark, I would start asking questions.

Figure three hours to chamber, thread and crown the barrel. Figure three hours to do the stock work. Note, the stock work will have to cure for several days, but total work (labor) would be in the neighborhood of 6-8 hours working slow.

James

Thanks, I do not mind spending the money. I understand that there are several actions etc that are good, and that it whoever puts it together and tweaks it that makes the gun. But what happens when the gun won't perform like it is supposed to. I am not sure that you could ever get what you have invested in it back to purchase another one. Maybe a smith that looks at this site often will speak up and we can do some business.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, I do not mind spending the money. I understand that there are several actions etc that are good, and that it whoever puts it together and tweaks it that makes the gun. But what happens when the gun won't perform like it is supposed to. I am not sure that you could ever get what you have invested in it back to purchase another one. Maybe a smith that looks at this site often will speak up and we can do some business.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it is put together correctly, the only variables are the shooter/loader, sighting mechanism and the quality of the barrel. The trick is to use good components. Every one I have ever built or had built has shot 1/4" or better at 100 yards. There just is not any majic/mystery in getting one built that will perform. I had lunch the other day with the machinist who does the rifle and action work for a noted action manufacturer. He is anally retentive and a stickler for details. That is the type of attitude and focus you want your gun assembler to have.

James

BLAS 93,

I was gonna say that but was going to let him do a lil more research.....but that would be an excellent choice....as far as $2700...Ill quote Kirby "THATS A PRETTY SPLENDY RIFLE". I added a $805 dollar Lawton 7500 action(rather than tear down a perfectly good gun) and picked a stock $100 cheaper than the A3.....and cut the coating idea.....So my 100% CUSTOM is under $2700.....All it will need is a scope and rings base is a Lawton figured in my total price.

This will be a 270AM.

[ QUOTE ]
BLAS 93,

I was gonna say that but was going to let him do a lil more research.....but that would be an excellent choice....as far as $2700...Ill quote Kirby "THATS A PRETTY SPLENDY RIFLE". I added a $805 dollar Lawton 7500 action(rather than tear down a perfectly good gun) and picked a stock $100 cheaper than the A3.....and cut the coating idea.....So my 100% CUSTOM is under $2700.....All it will need is a scope and rings base is a Lawton figured in my total price.

This will be a 270AM.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can always shave off costs. The point is that you don't have to spend 3500 to get a very good shooting stick.

James

[ QUOTE ]
Go with a Lawson action and have Kirby or Shawn Carlock build the Rifle you can't go wrong there.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are a multitude of choices out there for equipment choices and gunsmiths. I would recommend getting the equipment from companies that have been building the items for a long time not just a few short years. Additionally, there are a ton of good gunsmiths to choose from and the ones listed are some of them. It all depends on who you feel comfortable with. I personally would not wait a year to get six hours of work from somebody. But that is the choice of the buyer.

James

Go with the Armalite AR30, if they shoot like the 338LM does, you will not be disappointed and half the cost!!!! Put that towards loading and optics! Tod

Watch this board and BR central classifieds. Lot of very good used guns on the board for about $1000-1400, many even less. Many are custom actions, or at least trued 700s. Worst case it would be $500 to buy another barrel and have it chambered if the rest of the gun is what you want.

BH

[ QUOTE ]
Go with a Lawson action and have Kirby or Shawn Carlock build the Rifle you can't go wrong there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been reading this board for about a month now. A lot of information to absorb! How would one get into contact with Shawn or Kirby?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.