Help with F-class build!!

blipelt

Alright I have been pondering it for awhile now. With my new position/shift at work. I have the time to start competing again hopefully. So lets talk about actions and stocks. This will be a fclass only rifle. I have enough long range hunters.

actions: I have been looking at the defiance, stolle, and bat mainly anyone have any experience good/bad. I am left handed and want either a left bolt right feed/eject or left bolt right feed and bottom eject. Any suggestions from guys who have alot more experience than me.

Stocks: I have been looking at masterclass, but don't really have a clue.

Our area shoots are at 800 or 1000yds. So I was thinking about a fixed power leupold. Any suggestions.

Thanks for the info.

Brent

think I would recommend that you go to the F class sight and ask the F class gurus what they think.

After that are you talking Open class or FTR?

I do not know of a bottom eject action except for the 6mm BR size cases and that means the Dasher, BRX or BRDX and those are all Open class and not at the top of the competitive ladder in Open. Very good and occasionally win and better barrel life, but Open F is ruled by the 7mm or the 6.5.

FTR is limited to only 308 or 223

I think I would start in the FTR class shooting the 185s.

Sign In - Long-Range Target Shooting?&

BH

Last edited:
If you are going f-open, BAT, Masterclass, jewel, premium barrel in 7.5T 6mm chambered in 6xc or 6x47 lapua or even 6.5x284.

FTR Mcmillan action, A3 stock, jewel, premium barrel in 10T 308 win.

If you are shooting F/Open and primarily long range (800-1000) vs. mid-range (300-600) I'd recommend taking a good look at the increasingly popular 7mm options available - .284 Win, .284 Shehane, 7 WSM, 7/300 WSM, 7 RSAUM.

Me not liking replacing barrels every season and the subsequent dicking with brass prep, load workup, etc.... I shoot F/TR. Pretty much any decent action, a good 10-12 tw barrel (depending on how heavy of a bullet you intend to sling) and a comfortable stock - most F/TR shooters tend to snuggle into the rifle more than the quasi free-recoil that F/O types use.

Thanks for the help, been away playing with fire hoses at state fire school.

I think our comps. are for the open class. Most around here use a repeater in the 14-15lb range. I definately have alot to think about.

Brent

Doesn't sound like they're using purpose-built F-Class rifles then, or perhaps are running some bastardized local version of the rules. F/TR allows rigs (scope/rifle/bipod) up to 18lbs ~3 oz, and F/Open rigs have a weight limit (scope/rifle) of 22lbs. While a repeater is certainly legal its not high on any build list for a dedicated target rifle.

Comps aren't 'for the open class'... the majority of local competitors may happen to shoot F/Open, but I'd highly doubt anything in the match rules is stopping you from shooting F/TR. If there aren't enough (usually at least five) competitors shooting F/TR they may not break it out as a sub-class for awards, which does leave the .308/.223 guys in an up-hill battle against the dedicated F/Open calibers in the wind... but other places have more F/TR than F/Open so it works out. Overall, I think F/TR is growing somewhat faster simply because its less of an 'arms race' i.e. less dependent on your ability to afford new barrels in the latest calibers than it is your ability to read the wind.

YMMV,

Monte

Thanks for the help, Richard Schatz is a friend so of course I will build a 6Dasher. Especially when he is offering up some assistance.

Defiance action RB, RP, Bottom eject,
Masterclass Benchrest stock
Jewel
Brux barrel
NF benchrest scope or new 1/8moa NXS
weight will be around 17lbs so I can compete in light gun maybe also.

Brent

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts