Help with choosing scopes

PvtMcCollam

Ok I just bought me a new rifle and haven't decided what optics to get yet. I'm ushering a Remington model 700 .300 win mag and was looking for a accurate and able scope for a descent price. I'm willing to go up to $850 for a scope but if I could find a scope that's clear and accurate enough for 1000 yard hunting or shooting because I ain't planning on hunting at 1000 yards honestly. I just want the capability to, but anyways I was wondering fixed or variable power? If I go fixed what size because of the mirage effect and if I go to small will I be able to see a 34" target clear enough to make great shots. I have been looking at a few scopes and the two I been thinking about is the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 or the SWFA SS MOA 10x42 or 16x42. The Vortex I was told by them that it has a total of 65 MOA. The SWFA has a little over 100 MOA. If anyone has any suggestions of a scope that's great for 1000 yards please help me out. I don't have much time for looking all over at scopes but I know scopes r the most important piece to a successful rig. Email me at [email protected] or post a reply on here thanks for the much needed help.gun) oh should I go with .1 mil turret adjustments or 1/4 MOA adjustments. I don't know what ones better for being precise and gettin the most at that distance. Once again thanks

for the money you want to spend the vortex is an excellent choice. as far as mil/moa, they both work, but i prefer moa in most situations (I do have mil/mil units on specialized rifles) but I would also suggest looking for a used leupold mk4 6.5x20 should be able to find for the price range your in. if you need more elev. just use burris insert rings, can pick up an extra 20moa very easily.

I would second the vortex pst, add the sightron siii lr and even go as far as to point out the Bushnell elite.
If you run a fixed power you simply have to compromise one way or the other. If your version of hunting is long range ambush you could get away with the higher power optics but it will limit any surprisingly close opportunities and then you have to worry about the mirage issue. I have done a fare amount with a fixed 10x and consider it a balanced compromise for all purpose and can easily do the job at long range. With your budget I would stick to the variable power optics.

A word on limited adjustment range: The new elite series are suppose to have 75moa but the old ones I use claim 50 and only really have 44.5 moa of adjustment. Before you run screaming. I wanted to say I run these on magnum rifles using efficient bullets and fairly conservative loads, Focused on accuracy and only concerned with velocity after load development is done. With the proper base and an appropriate shim I can run one to over 1200 and the other to 1380 yards, From 100 yard zeros. I have a de-facto zero stop three moa below my zero and they work great threw the whole range.

While these are not considered ideal parameters for a long range scope, They work exceptionally well within those ranges, Takes a little extra effort to get them set up just right but it can easily be done. The vortex's 65moa on the other hand installed on a off the shelf 20moa base should give a theoretical 12.5 down margin and 52.5 moa of up adjustment. For 300 win mag 52.5 moa is allot and will reach way beyond your intended range of 1k.

The 100 or 120 moa scopes are great to have, require no cant in the base or rings but are completely unnecessary unless you plan on shooting extreme range.

P.s. 1/4 moa is a finer adjustment as the .1 mil is more like a 1/3 moa. I like moa and a mil dot ret. myself but if your running a mil ret. AND actually using it, mil turrets make allot of cents. Personal preference really and either will serve you well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.