Help with build please.

Teutonic

Hey all, I am trying to get some ideas in line. I have a 700 long action with magnum bolt face I want to start a build off of. I want to use an A5 McMillan stock but need help with choice of caliber and barrel contour. The rifle will be used to shoot deer to around 600-700 yards (potentially), and possible target shooting to 1000 yards. I want to avoid a brake to save my hearing. I was therefore thinking along the lines of a 7 WSM or 7 Rem. Mag. I would like to hear the plus/minus of these cartridges, or if you have any better ideas. Also, I would like to know what you would recommend for a barrel contour to fit in the McMillan stock. I want to go with a 28 inch barrel and need a stock to support that kind of barrel weight.

There's a three page discussion up in the longrange hunting area -7wsm or 7 rem mag thread- it just went to the second page.
I don't know how to drag a thread down here -wish i did -anybody ?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myself i'd go w/a 7 wsm -nothing against the 7mag [got one] just like the wsm's.

I'd recommend basically a sendero style rifle since you mentioned target shooting ,but if you are going to carry the rifle much -lighten it up to magnum sporter weight gun.
I have a 4.1 contour [mag sporter] broughton 280AI built by Nathan Dagley a board member here -the barrel is finished at 28" but i did use a brake.
Relatively lightweight not a mountain rifle but a good comprimise for me.
Good luck you'll get many good opinions but of course you'll have to iron them all out..

Last edited:
I remember reading that thread talking about the velocity differences between the 7wsm or rem. mag, but not about the differences in accuracy.

Also, what is the standard going contour now is it a #7 or 8, or heavy varmint max, or the MTU?

What kind of bedding is needed for support with these big barrel weights?

Just my 2 cents

I would consider the 270 Weatherby mag. It is a awesome caliber and extremely accurate. I work with Tim McWhorter(Mcwhorter Custom rifles) and the 270 Weatherby is his pet. They just SHOOT! Plenty of killing power way out there too. Barrel consideration-I have a Pac-Nor supper match on my 300wsm and I love it. It is a #6 and has full length deep fluting this way you get all the bulk and rigidity without a whole lot of weight.

Teutonic, I have hunted with a 7mm RM for many years and it has done a great job as I posted in the 7mm WSM vs 7mm RM thread. I personally believe the WSM has more potential for accuracy and consistancy because of it's case design and will have better ballistics with the med wieght bullets.

I am going to rebarrel my 7mmRM to a 7mm Dakota or 300 Dakota because it has better ballistics and I want to get away from the belted cases. The Dakota has a good case design but it is proprietery and expensive. The 7mm STW and RUM are another couple of good cartridges.

I guess everybody wants at least to have an A-5 once in their life. I have one and I will never buy another. It's a great stock but wood just feels and looks so much better. Get Joel Russo to put you together an A3/A5L in an exotic color combination of laminates.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.