Help with brass sizing

N10sivern

I have a target new 6.5x55 that I built. I'm planning on building a 6.5x55 to hunt with as well. I also have a collection of Swedish military rifles that I have been shooting cheap plinker prvi ammo in. I planned to save my lapua brass for the target rifle and use the prvi brass in the new hunting rifle. I'd hate to lose lapua brass is the woods! Tonight I sized the once fired prvi brass and it won't fit in my target rifle. I can't close the bolt. I know I have my chamber set tight, but I still figured I could reuse the brass. I bottomed the die on my the press plate and using my case comparator I was still 0.004 from being sized down to the once fired lapua brass size. I guess this is due to the enlarged/worn military chambers. Is this brass useless now? Any suggestions on how to get it to size back down enough to be used? Before somebody asks, I can shoot the factory prvi ammo in my target rifle with no problems and it sizes back to where it should.

It is possible the issue is expansion just forward of the case head where a normal sizing die does not reach: check out this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/reloading-1x-fired-brass-116224/

If you are measuring that your shoulder is still set too far forward, you may be able to get that 4thou by adjusting the die down so you are really pushing hard against the shellholder. I have a WSM in particular that I really have to jam on to get it in spec. If you feel you are already maxed out than you probably won't be able to use that brass in that rifle.

Screw your sizing die down to the shell holder then lower the ram and turn the die down another 1/2 or so turn. This should make your press cam over and take all the slack out. It probably will size your cases enough now. If it does not then the only option you have is to use NEW cases in your target rifle and keep them segregated from those shot in other rifles. This should be your standard procedure anyway.

As a side note check the length of your cases. They could be too long and thus not allow the bolt to close.

The die is set up correctly and the brass is trimmed correctly. I'm just gonna save that brass for the military rifles and buy more for the hunting rifle.

Well I'm just going to hold on to the brass til later and get new brass for the rifle I'm building. Just not worth all of this for a couple hundred pieces of brass. If anything I may make a shim to put beneath the brass and resize it, but it's going in my brass bin for storage for now.

"I bottomed the die on my the press plate and using my case comparator I was still 0.004 from being sized down to the once fired lapua brass size."

I don't know what "press plate" you refer to but all presses have some degree of inherent springyness and so do cases. I suspect if you screw your sizer down another 1/8th turn (about 9 thou), you'll be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.