Help with a Gift

In my opinion, and I have owned both in a Model 7, the 708 has less recoil than the 308, but both have pretty good muzzle blast because of the short barrel. Both guns in the Model 7 config loved the light for caliber bullets, 120 gr in the 708 and 130 gr in the 308.

For the afore mentioned reason, I want a .260 Rem Model 7 so I can shoot 100 gr Nosler Partitions at around 3200 fps in a lightweight carry gun. Several folks I have spoke with speak very highly of the 125 gr NP and NBT in the same rifle at around 3000 fps as being bad medicine for whitetails.

Robins,
whatever decision you make it will work. It won't be a bad decision. Also there is ammunition from Remington called Managed-Recoil... here is some info... I do not believe you'll make a wrong choice whichever one you do. Good Luck.

dmfvx1.jpg

Are you a reloader or will the young man be shooting factory. If you are a reloader than just about any short action rifle will serve your purpose now and later. You can load them down for now and then graduate to a heavier bullet later on in life. I feel very strong towards the 260 but a 7-08 is a very tough one to beat also. If he is any thing like most of the rest of us he will cherish his first gun forever. Just my two cents.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the 308 Winch. is the way to go. Simply because a youngster would have something to grow into or to grow with. With the vast choice of bullets for the 308 Winch. it can be loaded to do what the 243 Winch. does and more. As the youngter grows, the bullet weight grows as needed. Though many Elks have been shot with the 243 Winch., the 308 Winch. is definately a better caliber for Elk. He can grow to shoot heavier bullets like the 180 Grains Accubond which at MV=2640 can be shot out to 1000 yards before it goes subsonic and at 400 yards has enough punch (1577 ft/lb)to take a nice bull elk to the freezer.
Bottom line, the 308 Winch. will do everything the 243 Winch. will and more if needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice, I second it. .308 is just so versitile and fun to shoot. I'm picking out a rifle for my girlfriend who has 12 year old stregnth and ability and I was thinking about a .270 but you've got me sold. She'll be able to do more with the .308 in the long run.

Yep I reload but i am not around very much. I go to college on a ROTC scholarship and after school be going into the military so my ability to make ammo for him will only be around for another two years. I guess though by then he should be big enough to shoot factory ammo.

Yeah he will probably be like the rest of us and charish his first rifle for ever.

I dont feel up to lopping off a section of the butt of the rifle, who would you folks suggest? I know their are a number of gunsmiths in the group.

Any competant local smith can cut off the butt and put on the Sims recoil pad for normally around $50-75 and that should include the pad. That pad is best a reducing recoil. It will cost you $50 or more to mail it off.

If you reload you can call the powder mftrs or sierra and get a "reduced recoil" load down to just over 1000 fps. They are not listed in reloading books but available. I started my daughters at 8 and 10 with 7mm-08 light loads and they loved it. Much easier later when we went to full house loads.

NOTE: you cannot just reduce the load on standard powders. You will blow up the gun. It takes normally special loads of pistol powders.

BH

Thanks for the thought on the reduced regular loads, i was not gonna try it but i am kinda curious on why it blows the rilfe up? My guess is its not enough pressure to push the bullet out of the brass and done the barrel causeing a jam and excessive pressure in the barrel? Thats my guess.

Has nothing to do with not being able to push the bullet out.

Basically it does not give a burn but a detonation which turns into "a significant emotional event" if you are the one pulling the trigger.

Has to do with light loads, air space and basically you cannot below the minimum starting loads recommended in the reloading books.

BH

Similar to running a car engine too lean. Lots of air too little gasoline - bye, bye, head gaskets.

My infamous mistake was by wanting a little more velocity in a reduced load. Too much pistol powder (IMR4227) in a large rifle case is just as bad as too little.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.