Help with a .204 Ruger

I bought a .204 ruger the other day after nearly "vaporizing" a bobcat with my custom .243 in Jan. I have almost no experience with this cal but I was hoping for some input. I want a load that I can shoot a cat or fox in the chest, and not ruin the pelt. I'm not sure if I'm dreaming or not?? haha The .243 with 70gr NBTs at 3750 fps pretty much leaves nothing on a fox and is really rough of cats even when I headshot them. I have some 32gr v-max's, some 34gr Hp's, some 748 and some TAC power. Thanks for your imput!! :) gun)gun)gun)

Listen to yote doctor, thats good advice. The vmaxs will explode generally. I ran some Winchester hollow points that weren't too bad for opening up, but the bergers should be much better for your purposes.

Personally I'd love to try those Bergers but I have had fantastic luck with the seirra 39gr blitzkings. I know of 4 different 204's shooting this bullet extremely well with good results with reloader 10x. The 39gr blitzkings are cheaper then the Bergers and have an advertised bc of .287. If you can find them give them a go as well!

I bought a .204 ruger the other day after nearly "vaporizing" a bobcat with my custom .243 in Jan. I have almost no experience with this cal but I was hoping for some input. I want a load that I can shoot a cat or fox in the chest, and not ruin the pelt. I'm not sure if I'm dreaming or not?? haha The .243 with 70gr NBTs at 3750 fps pretty much leaves nothing on a fox and is really rough of cats even when I headshot them. I have some 32gr v-max's, some 34gr Hp's, some 748 and some TAC power. Thanks for your imput!! :) gun)gun)gun)

204RugerCart.jpg

My load.

i27uu-152.jpg

Not much hide damage.

I didn't have to good luck with the 39 gr. Sierra in my .204. Had a splash on a broadside shot at a badger and it got down it's hole and a friend had a splash on a coyote with it. We only use it on rockchucks and smaller varmints now. Went to the 32 gr. Nosler Varmageddon and I really like it. Shot a badger at about 200 yds,, center of chest. Big 30 lb. male, dropped instantly, DRT. Just made a small caliber entrance, no exit. My load was 30 gr. BLC(2), also shot a .169 group with that load and bullet combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.