Help with 338 Lapua Loads

xring01

Gents,

I will be shooting this cartridge in the near future.

Would appreciate any info that you have on loads.

Will most likely start out with the 300SMK.

Thanks in advance.

xring01,
I started shooting the 338 Lapua about 4 months ago and with some advice from Chris Matthews found that 93grs of Retumbo works pretty good in my rifle with the 300 SMK, he said his likes 94grs. As always work up slowly in your rifle.
Take care,
Wayne

I shoot the SMK300's with a PGW timberwolf.
I have tried Retumbo 92-93 grains. The pressure signs are less, but you can't beat the accuracy of 92 grains of H1000.
I get 2780-2790 fps out of it, and groups as good as 1/5 MOA at 200 yrds. Of course it works well at 1000 yrds also. This was seated against the rifling. Hope this helps.

I use Forster/Bonanza Benchrest dies and a RCBS #14 shellholder. For the money I think the dies are pretty good, especially the seater die.
Wayne

I have a Remington 700P in 338LM. For some reason H4831 works better with 250 grn SMKs. I've tried Retumbo, H1000, RL25 with about a dozen loads each at different COALs. The faster H4831 is just more accurate in the rifle. I've found the 85.5 to 86.0 grains of H4831 seems to be the magic load giving me .46 MOA average.

Right now I'm also working up a load for the Hornady 225 SST's with H4350.

Per the shellholder I have the RCBS#14. It's a little sticky with Lapua brass - get the redding (i think it's #35). I'm switching as soon as it arrives.

I have a McWhorter Custom .338 LM. I'm using Federal 215 primers, 92.0 gns. of N560 powder, shooting 225 grain accubonds 3300+fps. I get 2.5" groups at 800 yds consistently. Hope this helps. What kind of action are you running? I have a Stiller Predator which is very beefy. This is a pretty hot load, so make sure that your action is capable of handling such loads... Good Luck!

I also have a 338 pgw Timberwolf just got it.when reloading is it better to seat the bullett against the lands or back it off,I will be loading 300 gr Berger ont tactical bullets,what powder and how much do I start with as these are new bulletts out and I cannot find any reloading data for them

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts