HELP: Single Shot Varmiting gun?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hoser, Dec 9, 2010.

1. hoser

hoser Member

I'm looking to get a varmint gun and would love a single shot for coyotes, squirrels, ground hogs, ect.

First question:
    223 vs 22-250? I want to keep caliber simple and accessible and stay away from wildcats so it's between these two. I know 223 is cheaper and more accessible, but is it "worth" it for the added reach of the 22-250 (what my hunting buddies shoot)?

Second question:
    Winchester 1885, Browning B78 (or 1885) or Ruger #1?
    If RUGER, would you get a laminate stock over wood for more stability and weight?

If WIN or BROWNING, can a BIPOD be put on these? If so, anyone have any pictures? Never seen one of these type of single shots with a bipod.

Third questions:
    What's your favorite scope for varminting?

Thanks in advance.

2. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Well-Known Member

I don't know why there are no replies. I guess people are afraid of single shots because they must miss the first shot.

My 1st semi custom was a ruger #1 in 220 swift turned into a 220 weatherby rocket. I loved that gun still have it and with over 2000 full power, 4200fps rocket rounds thru it, I shot 2 three shot groups at 200 yds one was a little over a 1" the other was a 1.625. I have my favorite varmint scope on it, a leupold 6.5-20x40 with target knobs. I also have a older b&l 6-24x40 that I like alot.

As for the stock I don't really care for rugers laminates. I would stick with the wood. I have never had any problem with mine.

I would go for the 22-250 because it does everything just a little better than a 223.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

3. hoser

hoser Member

THANKS for the reply. Thought I posted a dumb question!

Any experience with the Winchester or Browning single shots?

4. jghoghunter

jghoghunter Well-Known Member

No more than a friend of mine over the years has had one of each of them and he used them for blackpowder silhoute and I shot them a few times. One was a 45-70 the other was a 38-55. They were nice to shoot. I don't know what all he might have done to them.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I looked at the same caliber options for the same varmits but ended up with a TC Encore in .204 Ruger. Easy to load, economical, and a hoot to shoot.

6. hoser

hoser Member

Actually, I'm now thinking about just getting something in 308 and have it dual duty hunting and varminting! Again, I don't reload so no wildcats. I want easy to find ammo, especially here in CA.