help! seated bullet runout!

what should I be doing?? I'm taking a case, marking it about 1/4" from the shoulder with 650 deg tempil stick, heating the case neck while rotating in a drill until the tempil stick mark changes and then letting the case cool.

I've read varying opinions on quenching and I simply chose not to.

I marked the bottom half of the case with 450deg tempil just to make sure I wasn't heating the case head and it never changed due to the heat.

what do I need to do to anneal correctly??

Came out better the second time, BuffaloBob
And I also concur with his advise. Anneal before you resize.

I dont load the 208 but I have also seen some of the vlds bottom out in the seater stem and seat off the tip of the bullet, just something you can easily check.

Do this then. Check what Rimfire has to say by taking out the seating plug and seeing if the tips are hitting or it is actually catching the shoulder of the bullet like it is supposed to.

While you have it out, see if the plug is concentric inside. You should just be able to look and see if there is a problem

Then take the plug and use your gauge to see if it is concentric outside with the threaded rod.

Finally, and this is likely where the problem is, ( if not with the tips hitting), put everything back together and screw the die in and seat five bullets normally without any rotation during the seating process and mark each with an index so you know exactly how it was aligned in the die. Measure runout on each bullet and see if it is always the same in relationship with the index mark. If so, then it means your die is not in the press straight (or the seating cap) and you must unlock the lock ring and by trial and error reset the lock ring until it aligns the die vertically. If that does not help then do the same process with the seating cap rod to make sure it is vertical within the die.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.