HELP...scope keeps slipping in 338E

D.ID

I had a B3200 10x40md in a dnz mount for the first 95 rounds with zero problems and was so impressed I picked up a B4200 6-24x50md which requires a 30mm ring and higher mount. My first attempt was a weaver tactical 20moa base and burris signature rings. When the scope started sliding I yanked rings and mount and ordered a dnz 20moa 30mm mount. The scope is still moving! Every thing torqued, properly gaped, everything tight and still she tries to move under recoil. I put a anti cant ring behind the rear ring backed up to the ridge right in front of the zoom ring to make a mechanical stop and it seems to have worked but I can not imagine it being good for the longevity of the system. Any thought on other solutions? Thanks in advance........Duke

Did you clean the rings and scope tube before mounting?
The Burris Signature rings come with lots of oil on them. I clean the inserts also.

try this:
buy two sets of Burris tacticle rings, and install three rings on the base so that you have two rings up front. Lap them in with a non-charging lapping compound (comes in a yellow powdered form that you mix with 3/1 oil). Now put a couple thin lines of Loctite press fit compound in the rings top and bottom. Coat the scope with Johnson's pledge (three good coats are best). Tighten the rings for about 35 in. lb. of torque. Let it set for a couple hours and then shoot. I use this same setup on a couple pistol scopes that have very violant recoil. (.357 Herrett and a .445 Supermag) I don't use the .357 anymore as it ate a scope every 150 rounds, but it didn't move anymore! I also did a similar setup on my turkey gun, but used Weaver bases and regular Burris rings. My shotgun is a 3.5" mag, and the scope has never moved in it since day one.
gary

Got the same problem with Burris XTR's on my edge. Just ordered a lapping kit and just incase a third ring. Hopefully this will be problem solved~!

Once you solve the slipping problem , you may encounter another problem , as the scope no longer slips ( this reduces the shock to the scope ) , you will start to pound scopes into pieces , and you may find , you have to buy better scopes .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.