Help! Scope Choice for AR-50

CA48

I have a buddy That has an AR-50, he is looking for a scope and not wanting to spend a lot at the moment. I have been looking at the 6-20X50mm PST Vortex for $279 for him. I was wondering if this scope can with stand the muzzle blast of this rifle, and also the quality of the optics, tracking,clarity, and durability especially mounted on the .50 . I know there are probably some better choices for a few hundred dollars more but he is not wanting to spend more than 400 or 500 hundred dollars. Any comments appreciated.

CA i would try and get your buddy to join the FCSA. They have a wealth of info on the big 50 and what it can do to cheap glass. If he cant afford good glass the Bushnell elite is an ok scope. Just expect to replace it after 500 rounds give or take a couple. The problem with a 50 is there is recoil in both directions. The muzzle brake actually pulls the gun forward enough to move it in the rings. That is why you see alot of setups with 3 or 4 rings. Sorry for being so long winded lol. If you have more questions shoot me a pm and I will be happy to help.

Mike

Mayhem, Thanks for the advise I will get him to look into the FCSA. I was just curious if this particular scope could even hold up to the recoil even with 4 rings on it.

CA48,
I tried several inexpensive scope on my ar-50 all with the same results, I would knock the x/hairs out of them untill I put a nsx nightforce on it. close to ten years now w/no problems yet. If you knock three $500 scopes off it you could buy one good one.
Wayne.

PS
I understand if there ain't enough funds there ain't enough!!!

Bozo I have been looking around on the net and thats what ive come to realize. Spend good money once and not deal with problems. Now I just need to get that through my buddy's head.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.