Help! Remington 700 308 win

bowhunthard88

Does anyone out there know how far their bullets are from the rifling in a factory 308 Rem 700 action/barrel?

What bullet, how far, col, how big of groups.

My 700 seems to have a long throat, and my 178gr amaxs are at least .076 from the lands.

I am not sure how long the throat of a 700 308 winnie is, although I should as I have screwed around with more remmy 308's than I care to admit. However, I wouldny worry about the throat length. Loaded to 2.825-2.830 is as long as the action will permit and still feed reliably. At these lengths, you will not be anywhere near the lands. I am not sure if you have a preconcieved idea that bullets have to be near or on the lands or what have you but rest assure they dont. My best groups at 100, 300 and 1000 yards were fired in a factory remington 700 308 using the same bullets you are. .000 at 100, .351 at 300 and 3.5 at 1K.

Relax. She will shoot fine.

Does anyone out there know how far their bullets are from the rifling in a factory 308 Rem 700 action/barrel?

What bullet, how far, col, how big of groups.

My 700 seems to have a long throat, and my 178gr amaxs are at least .076 from the lands.

In my 700VS I measured with the 168 BT & got 3.040 & with Berger 168 3.040. The 168 A-Max would be close to that. As Meichele mentioned I load the 168 A-Max to 2.825. The appear to rub slightly, but feed. They are the most accurate of the 3 so far.

too far to feed from the magazine...

I have no doubt that is why the Bergers aren't doing so well. If I was competing for groups & rate of fire was not an issue, I would just single load & forget about it. But for a rifle also used for hunting, I am not going to mess with single load at all. I don't think the cost of an extended box & labor to install make a good deal of sense either. I thought of screwing on a diff. barrel & maybe at that point a Dasher or something, but even with the jump the 168A-Max is getting with the program & as long as that's the case I will let it go.

I am not sure how long the throat of a 700 308 winnie is, although I should as I have screwed around with more remmy 308's than I care to admit. However, I wouldny worry about the throat length. Loaded to 2.825-2.830 is as long as the action will permit and still feed reliably. At these lengths, you will not be anywhere near the lands. I am not sure if you have a preconcieved idea that bullets have to be near or on the lands or what have you but rest assure they dont. My best groups at 100, 300 and 1000 yards were fired in a factory remington 700 308 using the same bullets you are. .000 at 100, .351 at 300 and 3.5 at 1K.

Relax. She will shoot fine.

:) Thanks. Is that in inches?! Awesome. I just bought the Rem 700 VTR, let u guys know how I do. My scope should be coming in today. lol.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts