help please

Basically, you will end up doing load development with different factory ammo.
I would sure try the light magnum ammo.
Neither cartridge is going not be inherently more accurate than the other one.
It will be more dependent on the quality of barrel you get.
Go with your personal preference.
If it was me, I would likely go with the 270 Winchester.

Alrighty thanks again youve been really patient and VERY helpful. Hopefully I can get something put together sometime soon and let ya know how it shoots. Oh yeah I guess I lied I do have one more question, do you have any scope suggestions. I dont really have much experience in this area either, I have a Burris Euro Diamond on my muzzy and do like it although the 1st one I got didnt last very long, atleast they stood behind it and replaced it. I have a Tasco Custom Shop on my .223 but not sure I would trust a tasco on something with this kind of recoil, not too mention the optics arent that good. I just got it because it was the right price and I liked the 8-40X56mm option with the milldot reticle. Would like to be in the $300 range if thats do able and not sure if a fixed 4X would be enough for me, but other than that Im open to suggestions if you have any. Also what kind of recoil can I expect with a .270 in a gun like this, I use to have a .454 casull how would it compare to that?

Last edited:
I would recommend either the 2-7 or 3-12 Burris Long Eye Relief (handgun scope) with the Ballistic Plex Reticle.

For your purposes I would lean toward the 2-7.

jmeier

Keep it simple is my advice. Get a 15 inch factory Encore barrel in 308, no muzzel brake, put a Burris 3x12 on it and go shooting. Remember your ear protection!!

My first love is the annual hunt for Wyoming antelope. In addition to our rifles my son and I have taken many "lope" with long range pistols. Our first hunt in a pistol only area many years ago utilized a 14" T/C in 30-30 topped with a 2x scope. Not the best set up for antelope but we filled our tags that year.

My best "low dollar" hunting pistol is a long barreled 300 Savage on a G2 frame topped with a Burris 3x12. Nosler 125's do a number on those high plains driffters.

My son's " high dollar" antelope blaster is a custom bolt action pistol based on a Nesika action. Chambered in 243AI and topped with a 2.5x8 Leupold pistol scoped it has put a lot of meat in the freezer.

I am currently gathering the pieces for my next custom long range pistol. I have a Lawton left bolt, left port action. Pac-Nor stainless blank in 6.5MM, 6.5x47 Lapua reamer from Pacific Machine and a couple hundred Lapua cases. Probably be next year before it is complete but look out little antelope.

Bill

Is there much of a difference as far as accuarcy or trajectory in a 14" and 15" barrel? I noticed quite a few people talk about an encore with a 14" barrel, and I checked out MGM's site and they want $50 more for the 15" than the 14" and smaller. So is the extra inch important, or even better or should a guy just save the $50 and go with the 14"

Also will a rifle forend work with a pistol barrel? Ive seen pics of pistols with black composite forends that are longer than the factory one and have a swivel for a bipod that looks like a rifle version. Is that what it is or where can something like that be found? Also do you need a special forend for a heavy, or a bull barrel, if I was to order a custom barrel im sure Id go with one of these profiles

Have you decided which company you will use if you go custom. Many companies make foredn to fit their barrels, or can direct you to those who can. There a re number of different custom forends out there. You can tell the breel company to make the spcaing for a handgun forend or a rifle.

Sorry for the poor spelling. My computer was acting up with me and it took 5 minutes to post and couldn't correct anything.
Whoever makes your barrel can make the spacing for either a handgun forend or a rifle forend.

UB, sounds like u're playing with some nice rigs there.

I would also stay simple for big game out to 350 yds. This is not hard to accomplish really with any of the cartridges listed above. 7-08 and 260 Remington would also work well enuf for u, and less recoil to be concerned about, especially if u're not reloading. I would go right to the 2-7x or 3-12x Burris also with Ballistic Plex reticle, and if u get the 3-12x Burris u'll need to practice more with it since @ 12x the FOV is about as critical as i would use in the field. Vertical trajectory is gonna have to be compensated for once u get beyond 300 yds. anyway no matter what cartridge u use, and the big issue will be windage since it's a lot more of a guess than bullet drop. They don't have a laser for windage although there are some gizmos that help somewhat.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.