HELP Please! Burris Black Diamond or Leupold VX3

superlite17

Hello Fellas, and thanks for your time. I have been struggling through all the info on scopes and am on the fence between Burris Black Diamond or Leupold VX-3. I have found a GREAT deal on a Leupold so price difference is inconsequential... but i cannot find any dealers in my area that offer both to get a head to head comparison.

Does anyone know if either optics are better, ie. brighter in low light, less fuzzy, etc.?

Features appear to be identical- site focus, finger adjustable win/elevation etc. But it is hard to get all the Burris specs as their website is FAR INFERIOR to Leupold's... and while I know that it means nothing I hope it is not indicative of their "technical Savvy"

Anyway, your comments would be greatly apreciated!

Welcome to LRH first off!!
A lot of folks here prefer leopy's and they are good optics that carry a good warranty.
You still need to do a head to head comparison because each persons eyes are not the same.
I was going to buy a leopy once but "to my eyes" after comparing it and other brands in the same general price range found it "not as clear to my eyes" but thats just me.
They still are great optics either way but "I" prefer the Burris Black Diamond over them. ( bet you know how I voted now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
I don't think you will go wrong with either!

Hello, and thank you!!! I was really happy to have stumbled onto this site. All the others I have seen were heavily moderated for bias to the owner's products.
After surfing through some posts I think you all have a great thing going!

Welcome to LRH. You are right, this site is a great thing. Stick around and read some of the old posts. The impossible will become possible. I credit this site and it's members for all my knowledge of long range shooting.

I own a Pentax Lightseeker 30 which is supposed to be a BD clone for the most part. The big issue I have with the scope is the really stupid turrents. 7.5min per revolution. Which rocket scientist came up with that?

Overall, optics are very good, not fantastic but I can see mirage in this scope I can't in any other. Kind of neat and really helps with doping. So far, mechanicals are fine but those knobs drive me nuts.

This is a big scope so size and weight must not be an issue.

Others to consider are the Nikon tactical and Monarch, Elite 4200 if lots of elevation is not important, the new SWFA variable XOTIC (good reviews on this board but have not personally used them), Super Sniper if cost is an issue vs lots of elevation.

For my eyes, Luppy has never been a stand out. Plus the premium they ask for makes other choices more favorable.

Jerry

The Leupold can have a lot of custom reticle work done by PREMIER RETICLES and can be boosted to double the original power if you want. If your looking to buy one with the side parallax it may only adjust down to 75 yards, where as the BURRIS will adjust down to 50 yards. Good luck with your choice!

A vast majority of the 1k br crowd run Leupy's and the rest run Nightforce. Check the equipment lists on NBRSA's website or in their newsletter.

To my honed eyes, the Leupy is hard to beat for the money. Of course, I believe the Leupys are not expensive considering the total cost of this game we're in! (I own 8 Leupy's with the ninth on the way)

If weight and size matter then go with the Leupold. If not go with the Burris. the burris is a very big scope. Leupold 30mm VX3's have very good glass now so it would be close.. For my eyes the Burris's color resolution is a bit better.

I know what you are talking about!!!!. I did about 2-month's research on scopes, brightness etc, etc. Purchased 2 black diamond scopes from Midway sent one back defective, the second I sent to Burris because it was not clear on high power at 100 yards they repaired it and sent it back, I couldn't believe it when I got it back now it was not clear past 300 yards. I sent the second scope back to midway got my money back and bought a 5.5 x 22 x 56 Nightforce scope. This scope is for hunting. There have been many times in the morning I have had to wait to shoot at animals because I couldn't see them in my scope (Vari X III 40mm). The Nightforce is great.

Thank you all, I am concerned about mounting high... easier to knock out of alignment. Also, pardon my ignorance, but i understand that the higher the scope the greater the variance at the intersection of the crosshairs, correct????

But i do want light!

Also Blueboat, after reading your post, one of my main two 50mm considerations (Black Diamond) is out!!!

I rarely post on here but, I've always owned Leupy's, thought I'd try a Burris cuz of what some on the forums had said abt them, $800 ,mistake...to my eyes. M.H.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.