help pick a 6.5

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm going to go with a 6.5x284 i think. Barrel life isn't a big concern with me. As long as it is accurate. rebarreling at 800 or 1000 rounds is ok because i can do it myself. the 6.5x47L is interesting but i don't think it has the down range power I will need. the 260 seems about the same accuracy wise, more barrel life and a bit less velocity. but like i said, if accuracy is the same ill sacrifice the barrel life.

The 6.5 Sherman will outperform the 6.5/284 by 150'/sec. and barrel life is just as good if not better from what I've heard of the .284 version. Since the parent is .270 or .280, brass is readily available from most manufacturers. I can get 3200' out of a 26" barrel with pinpoint accuracy at 3150'.......Rich

Here are a couple of pics of the 6.5 Sherman. The rifle is a 700 rem. with a H-S stock, #4 Lilja SS, fluted, 26", 3 groove, 8 twist. The scope is a 6.5-20 Zeiss. It also has a jewell trigger. The barrel has approx. 1500 rounds thru it and still shoots 1/2 moa. It has lost a little accuracy as it use to shoot .3 moa. The loaded round is the 6.5 Sherman with a 140 A-Max compared to the .270W parent. The Sherman is an 11% increase in case capacity. I believe the barrel life is good because the Sherman version has a .300" neck and 40 degree shoulder which keeps the flame point directed inside the neck rather than directly into the throat like the short necked .284 version.......Rich
DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

It seems like a cool chambering ... I just haven't seen that round and honestly dont want to pay for the reamer. Unless you know of one i can borrow to send to a smith

It seems like a cool chambering ... I just haven't seen that round and honestly dont want to pay for the reamer. Unless you know of one i can borrow to send to a smith

Ya, it hasn't been aroud long and there are only a couple out there. Just thought I would throw it in the mix. You can rent my reamer for $25 to cover wear if you want? Good luck with your build. I'm sure the 6.5/284 will do a good job for you......Rich

thanks for the offer, thats very nice of you. I'll probably stick with the 284 because now a days you can find factory ammo for it if need be but I doubt I'll ever need it

Many of the 6.5's are great cartridges.

I'd lean towards 260 rem if I expected to do more mid range and faster follow ups such as tactical.

I'd lean towards the 6.5x284 for longer range hunting or competition.

800 rounds is often thrown around in reference to competitive shooters using near max loads and seeking premium precision with little regard for the extra cost of barrels. In fact, one of my 6.5x284 hunting rifles was built on a Kreiger palma barrel that was retired after 800 rounds. After setting it back, it's still a very solid 1/2 MOA (or better) shooter another 300+ rounds later. If you try to compete with the 6.5x284 using the 260 rem in those conditions, you'll reduce the barrel life there too.

The 6.5 Sherman and 240 Wby are serious hot rods if you want to go all out.

Conversely, 6.5x47L is pretty conservative and a pleasure to shoot.

I don't think you can say that any of these are inherently more or less accurate when built and used properly.

-- richard

Here are a couple of pics of the 6.5 Sherman. The rifle is a 700 rem. with a H-S stock, #4 Lilja SS, fluted, 26", 3 groove, 8 twist. The scope is a 6.5-20 Zeiss. It also has a jewell trigger. The barrel has approx. 1500 rounds thru it and still shoots 1/2 moa. It has lost a little accuracy as it use to shoot .3 moa. The loaded round is the 6.5 Sherman with a 140 A-Max compared to the .270W parent. The Sherman is an 11% increase in case capacity. I believe the barrel life is good because the Sherman version has a .300" neck and 40 degree shoulder which keeps the flame point directed inside the neck rather than directly into the throat like the short necked .284 version.......Rich
View attachment 10841

View attachment 10840
Hey, there are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced guys with great information on this forum. I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but I think my question will fit in here.
Rich, your 6.5 Sherman is a very impressive cartridge and I see you went with Lilja 3 grove 8 twist barrel. My question is twist rate? Lilja's web site shows a twist rate of 9 for 140gr bullets and Shilen's web site shows 9 twist for 130 gr and 8 twist for 140gr. Since your 6.5 Sherman is shooting at high velocities do you think a 9 twist would still stabilize the 140 gr bullets and possibly allow for even greater velocity and accuracy? I am just starting a 6.5 build and I am trying to chose a barrel to order.

Rich, sorry I ran out of room in the quote box. The 6.5 build I'm doing is 6.5 Remington Magnum on a Savage long action. I plan to shot 130 and 140 gr. I hope to get velocity in the 3050(140) to 3150 (130) range from a 26" barrel. I need to decide on twist rate, barrel manufacture and # of groves. I can get a Shilen 26" prefit standard 6 grove for $340. The Lilja would be about $400 plus smithing costs to chamber, thread and crown.
I was hoping to get your thoughts on the matter.

Hey, there are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced guys with great information on this forum. I was thinking of starting a separate thread, but I think my question will fit in here.
Rich, your 6.5 Sherman is a very impressive cartridge and I see you went with Lilja 3 grove 8 twist barrel. My question is twist rate? Lilja's web site shows a twist rate of 9 for 140gr bullets and Shilen's web site shows 9 twist for 130 gr and 8 twist for 140gr. Since your 6.5 Sherman is shooting at high velocities do you think a 9 twist would still stabilize the 140 gr bullets and possibly allow for even greater velocity and accuracy? I am just starting a 6.5 build and I am trying to chose a barrel to order.

I do think a 9 twist would work if you were shooting at high enough elevation but you might be on the ragged edge? Some barrel makers make an 8 1/2 which I think would be about perfect. If you go with someone like Bartlein, they will make anything you want and also offer 5r. I have one in a 30 that shoots very well. They will even make a gain twist according to your spec if you like.
A three groover is probably pushing the limit on a .264 diameter but it seems to work well in mine. Are you considering a Sherman?......Rich
I posted before your second one came up but I think I answered your question.....Rich

I do think a 9 twist would work if you were shooting at high enough elevation but you might be on the ragged edge? Some barrel makers make an 8 1/2 which I think would be about perfect. If you go with someone like Bartlein, they will make anything you want and also offer 5r. I have one in a 30 that shoots very well. They will even make a gain twist according to your spec if you like.
A three groover is probably pushing the limit on a .264 diameter but it seems to work well in mine. Are you considering a Sherman?......Rich
I posted before your second one came up but I think I answered your question.....Rich

I think if would have came across info on the Sherman sooner that may have been the direction I would have went. But as you see per my second post I have decided on 6.5 Rem Mag. I have already purchased the donor rifle, a savage 111 300 win mag and #308, 6.5 Rem Mag brass.
I'm curious as to what you meant by a three groover pushing the limit on a .264. As yours does appear to work very well for you, I would be very happy if I were to get close to the same results. Lilja claims the 3 groove adds about 20% barrel life vs their 6 groove with out any loss of accuracy, is it accuracy the 3 groove is pushing the limit on? Also if the 3 groove adds 20% barrel life and the average barrel life of 6.5"s in the 6.5-06 class is aprox. 1000 rds your Sherman is already at 50% increase so it appears to my limited experience that your case design is adding barrel life:)

I think if would have came across info on the Sherman sooner that may have been the direction I would have went. But as you see per my second post I have decided on 6.5 Rem Mag. I have already purchased the donor rifle, a savage 111 300 win mag and #308, 6.5 Rem Mag brass.
I'm curious as to what you meant by a three groover pushing the limit on a .264. As yours does appear to work very well for you, I would be very happy if I were to get close to the same results. Lilja claims the 3 groove adds about 20% barrel life vs their 6 groove with out any loss of accuracy, is it accuracy the 3 groove is pushing the limit on? Also if the 3 groove adds 20% barrel life and the average barrel life of 6.5"s in the 6.5-06 class is aprox. 1000 rds your Sherman is already at 50% increase so it appears to my limited experience that your case design is adding barrel life:)

I think the three groove barrels do last longer. I had my first one on a RUM and it did very well. By pushing the limit I meant the three groove barrels are harder on bullet jackets as the lands are wider and tear them up a bit more. The smaller diameter the bullet, the worse the problem becomes. They seem to work with the .264's but .224's often come unglued in mid air......rich

If you want to see just how accurate the 6.5Creedmoor is I suggest checking out the 6.5 Creedmoor forum. The Creedmoor is a lot easier on your shoulder than the other 6.5 "big boomers".

I just built a 6.5x47Lapua. I have to say this is by far the most accurate rifle I have ever built. It will shoot everthing you put in it less than 1/2MOA and most 1/4MOA. Lapua brass H-4350 powder 40.5grs 130 bergers and never look back.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.