Help out this rookie reloader.

Lumpy Log

Hi everyone, first, I just want to start off by saying that I'm an avid hunter born and raised in Alaska. I've been doing it as long as I can remember. I've always just used my Winchester Model 670 30-06 that I was given when I was 8 years old as my first hunting rifle to do the hunting. It's worked great and I've gotten everything from Moose to Caribou to Grizzly with it. Also, I haven't used more then one bullet on anything that I've killed. I'm pretty proud of that achievement so far. I've been lucky to dump the critters on their faces. (Side note: because of that, I'm a horrible tracker. hahaha) The rifle is at least 34 years old (four older then me) and I finally decided to retire it after carrying it up and down the mountains this year chasing Dall Sheep.

I still hadn't decided on what my new rifle would be for an all around Alaskan hunting rifle when I came home from work and found a new rifle on my table with a bow on it as a birthday present right before moose season this month.

The rifle is a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather .300 WSM. It didn't have a scope on it so I went and bought a 4.5-14x44 Zeiss Conquest and mounted them up together. I still don't even have the rifle completely dialed in yet. Just very roughly dialed so far with factory ammo.

I'm just now starting to get into reloading my own rounds and really have no idea where to start.

I apologize for this taking so long but here is what I'm looking for:
Thoughts on what bullets to use? I'm currently leaning towards Bergers.
What cases/primers/powder do you all prefer for this caliber?
What press are you all using? Anybody just using a kit from Cabelas?

I'm a hunter, not a competition shooter. I'm leaning towards the Bergers because of the insane fluid shock they give rather then the through and through holes of high weight retention bullets. If I'm completely off basis, please fill me in.

Thanks for your help!!
Joshua

What are you planning to hunt with it and at what range? if grizzly is on the menu i would pick a tougher bullet than the Berger. I Partition, A-Frame, Accubond, TSX or TTSX should be a better choice for Grizzly. I have no experience hunting grizzlies but i know i wouldnt want a beger in the chamber if i was hunting grizzly.

What ammo did you use in the 06? if you where loyal to one brand I would reload my ammo with the the same bullet the factory stuff used, that way you know exactly what to expect. My self I would just load up a 200gr partition and go with it.

If you get a complete reloading kit it will have nearly everything you need, save for dies and maybe a few other odds and ends, depending on which particular kit you choose.

as for the 06 why retire an old friend? the 06 loaded up with 200gr partitions is potent stuff, the short mag with bergers would sure be a good one for reaching out after Dall sheep, Deer, Moose. Just a thought

I guess I didn't really specify, but I'm just looking to get started with reloading this caliber for hunting purposes. I'm not necessarily looking for one single load to use on all critters at all distances, that'd just be silly I know.

I'm looking to get started with the loads for hunting in Alaska. I hunt moose, sheep, and caribou the most to keep the freezer loaded. I also hunt bears (Black, Griz, and Brown's). If I ever draw a tag then, I'll go for goats, bison, buffalo, etc. If it's in Alaska and there's space in my freezer, then I'll hunt it. :D

In my old 30-06 I've always just used factory ammo. I've used a lot of different kinds but have pretty exclusively used Nosler ballistic tips of different weights for the last 10 years or so. In that rifle, that ammo just shot really really well. My shots range from 100 to 300. I've never tried further then that. That was mainly because I wasn't comfortable with that rifles accuracy beyond that distance. My dad has a 7mm that I can pretty easily group fairly well to 500.

I'd like the challenge of long range hunting for the same animals and that's what I'm looking for information on now. For the most part, other then sheep hunting, the places I hunt aren't real suitable for shots beyond 600 yards or so.

In short, I'm looking for different loads for Alaskan game to shoot from my b-day present .300 WSM hunting rifle.

Eventually I'd like to get a custom precision shooting rifle made and work on some accuracy rounds. First priority is keeping the freezer full and trying to maintain my one shot one kill streak.

Thanks for the response.

The -06 is just getting retired, not dead. I still like the rifle and it has an incredible amount of sentimental value since the rifle was my dad's first hunting rifle as well as mine. I'll still use it periodically, not anymore for when the hunt requires carrying that beast up a mountain. If the hunt involves a gun scabbard on my wheeler, then it's good to go. haha

I just got a Grizzly last month with a 185 partition and dumped it on its face so hard that I think it may have gotten a concussion. We found out that I broke both shoulders which explained why he fell so hard.

I've done well with the factory ammo but I'm looking to start reloading for the fun factor of working up my own loads and as a winter hobby. I live in interior Alaska and in the winter time, I like to have things to do inside the house to keep me busy. Near the wood stove instead of out in the -50* temps.

Your 300wsm is a great cartridge. Here are my recommendations:

Powders:
Look at the Hodgdon 'Extreme' powders as they are not temp sensitive. Specifically, consider H4350, H4831SC, H1000

Primers:
You will need to experiment with the various magnum primers.

Bullets for deer, sheep, caribou:
208grain Hornady Amax or 215grain Berger Hybrid. Although both are 'target' bullets, they both perform VERY well on game.

Bullets for moose and bears:
Look at the 'tougher' bullets like Nosler Accubonds.

For reloading gear, I bought the basic RCBS kit. It has the basics to get you started. From there you will be able to add the various stuff you want/need.

Finally, hope you have a bunch of money as it's about to start leaking out of your wallet.

Your 300wsm is a great cartridge. Here are my recommendations:

Powders:
Look at the Hodgdon 'Extreme' powders as they are not temp sensitive. Specifically, consider H4350, H4831SC, H1000

Primers:
You will need to experiment with the various magnum primers.

Bullets for deer, sheep, caribou:
208grain Hornady Amax or 215grain Berger Hybrid. Although both are 'target' bullets, they both perform VERY well on game.

Bullets for moose and bears:
Look at the 'tougher' bullets like Nosler Accubonds.

For reloading gear, I bought the basic RCBS kit. It has the basics to get you started. From there you will be able to add the various stuff you want/need.

Finally, hope you have a bunch of money as it's about to start leaking out of your wallet.

EXCELLENT! I'll try them out. I'll check out Brentc's setups too and start trying to see what this rifle prefers to eat.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Now to go spend some $$.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.