Help! New to the sport...

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by viking92, Nov 29, 2009.

1. viking92

viking92 New Member

I am new to coyote hunting, well I guess I went out a couple times last winter with my friends and got hooked. I have always been a hunter, just not coyotes. Anyways, I was wondering if you guys have any ideas on some inexpensive calls I could get my hands on that would work? And how do I identify the best places to sit? There are lots of coyotes around although I don't see them very often. Any help would be great!!

Thanks,
    Seth

2. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Welcome aboard. I'll give some of my thoughts based on my own experience. Some good some not so good.:D

See above.....

Have fun......

3. viking92

viking92 New Member

Thank you so much for your help! I am from North Dakota so seeing a long ways isnt the trouble finding a higher point is sometimes. Last year I only went out a couple times by myself, and found it frustrating when I couldn't call any in, but I am sure this will help me out immensly.

Thanks again!

4. Rymart

Rymart Well-Known Member

I'll add my tips. I am assuming that you are hunting some pretty wide open country, similar to what I usually hunt.

Hope this helps you. It took me years to figure some of this out.

5. ARPredatorHunters

ARPredatorHunters Well-Known Member

Best sounding hand calls, IMO, come from Arkyyoter. You can google him up. Since you live in North Dakota you pretty much just have to sit down and call and you will end up killing coyotes. You can also read the few articles I have written on here which are geared towards the beginning coyote killer.

6. cal74

cal74 Well-Known Member

I'm basically in the same boat, hunted my whole life but this is all new to me.

Ice fishing seems to keep going down hill the last few years, our deer population SUCKS so I figured I needed to look other places.

Just ordered a Foxpro Scorpion and a mojo-critter, hoping the critter gets here this week and maybe take my nephew out to see what we can find this weekend.

Price is still a little steep, even with the clearance prices but I ordered my Foxpro from these guys. Ordered it last Friday and had it in my mail box this past Monday.

Product Listing Scorpion

7. viking92

viking92 New Member

Thank you to everyone for your help! It is much appreciated with all the beginning frustrations. I am working on ordering a mouth call because I don't want to spend a ton of money on a foxpro. So far you guys have givin me lots of options on some calls that will work, thanks! Would I be better of starting with open reed or closed reed? I am assuming they are fairly similar to use. Cal74 I am ordering that mojo critter as well, i hope it works great like I hear!

Thanks!

8. cal74

cal74 Well-Known Member

Check out you tube, type mojo critter. I would never have imagined any coyote coming into a decoy so fast. I guess I'll be bringing a shot-gun and buck shot
    along with a centerfire .22

Anyways, good luck and happy hunting..........

9. ARPredatorHunters

ARPredatorHunters Well-Known Member

You should start with the closed reed calls and then move into the open reeds.