Help needed

Horns&heels

Hello all,

I have a Remington sendero 2 in 300 rum, that
Shoots very poorly with factory amo. I have 210 bergers and retumbo to start out with.
I have no way to measure what the oal should be. Is there a good starting length that works Good with the senderos? Thanks in advance for the help!

Thanks,
Jerry

Measuring the oal is a must if you are shooting Bergers. The tools are about $40.00 and will save you a lot of frustration, not to mention provide safety. I use a Hornady tool ($35.00) and a Hornady modified case ($5-$8).

Jerry,
jpd676 is right. You need to find the cartridge OAL to the lands and make a "dummy" round. Then do your seating depth testing at .010, .050 , .090 and .130 off the lands for a hunting rifle at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/cartridge/powder combination you are testing. Then work the load back up in 1/2grain increments until you get 2 grains below MAX LOAD then drop down to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you are checking accuracy and for pressure signs. The VLD bullets often cannot be seated to work though the magazine because of their design and length. You may want to try the 185 grain Classic Hunters. These are HYBRID bullets designed to work at magazine length and are very easy to tune for. Please let us know if we can be of anymore help on this.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

The tool I use to determine the overall length is sold by Sinclair. The part number is 749-004-650WS and sells for $23.99. It is accurate, very versatile, and easy to use.

Bob

Bob,
That is an excellent OAL tool. By being able to use a fired case out of your rifle its more accurate at most and you can make a dummy round with the cartridge case and bullet you use to get your measurement. I use one also.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

Do you have a cleaning rod, a sharpie and a blunt end for the cleaning rod? Then you can get your oal to jamb by dropping a bullet into the rifle barrel without the bolt in, tapping the bullet snug into the lands, and inserting the cleaning rod into the barrel until contact is made and marking the rod. Then tap the bullet out lightly and run the rod all the way to the bolt you've just inserted and left cocked. Mark the rod again, measure the difference between the marks and you've got your oal to jamb. Now take this bullet and seat it into a case without powder and bullet to your jamb and you've got a pedro for the jamb length for YOUR rifle. Adjust your dies as needed from this pedro for desired oal.

Bigcat_hunter,
Nice catch ! Yes ! If your standard seater die has 1/2-20 threads where the seater plug assembly screws into the die you can use the Redding Micro-top with the VLD stem. So if you have an RCBS, Lyman, Hornady or other brand you can use this Micro-top. Also if you have a Redding competition seating die you will have to upgrade to the VLD seating stem. Forster Benchrest and Ultra -seaters have seater stems that will work for VLD and standard bullets but check them to make sure the tip of the bullet is not "bottoming out" in the seater stem. If it is I believe you can contact Forster and they will drill the stem deeper for you.
Take care,
Phil Hoham
Berger Bullet Tech

no need for expensive tools
neck size a brass from your rifle leave it empty with no primer lube the inside of the neck and seat a bullet in it just enough to hold in place. Now chamber that and as you close the bolt the bullet will seat as it contacts the rifleing. You now know the absolue max oal for that bullet in your rifle. From there I would sudjest backing that measurement off 25 thou, 30thou, and 35 thou load 5 of each and see wich works best. Readjust your dummy to the best length and keep that for checking the seat depth on your seating die

Thank you all, this is the info I was looking for!
Now to order a few things, and I can get to working on it. I will post
The results.
Thanks again!!

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.