HELP, my gun has chicken pox!

Sako7STW

I about had a heart attack. I got my gun out of the cabinet today to start working on load development and there were small spots of rust all over it. Nothing too serious I dont think but not sure what to do??

On hand these are what I have:
Kroil
Shooters Choice
Sweets 7.62
Butches Bore Shine
Rem Oil
WD-40

Obviously some of these are for internal barrel cleaning but I thought I would list it all. My first thought was to break out the Kroil and give it a good bath in that. But thought I would post on here and see what suggestions my LRH brethren had first.

I wouldn't let WD get within 20 feet of Amy of my rifles!!

I use Eezox almost exclusively when I can find it. If not I use Shooters Choice.

Kroil kicks *** & penetrates very well. I've used it mixxed with Shooters choice solvent for cleaning a few times, but it's got such a foul oder.

Of all you mentioned I'd go Kroil first choice, & or Shooters Choice second.

If its a blued barrel, Quadruple Ot (four-0000) steel wool, mixxed with one of those will work well. Use it lightly, & your blueing will be fine.

I wouldn't let WD get within 20 feet of Amy of my rifles!!

I use Eezox almost exclusively when I can find it. If not I use Shooters Choice.

Kroil kicks *** & penetrates very well. I've used it mixxed with Shooters choice solvent for cleaning a few times, but it's got such a foul oder.

Of all you mentioned I'd go Kroil first choice, & or Shooters Choice second.

If its a blued barrel, Quadruple Ot (four-0000) steel wool, mixxed with one of those will work well. Use it lightly, & your blueing will be fine.
I think kroil smells good. As does hoppes #9:D

Gave the gun a good bath and soak in Kroil last night. Did a very very thorough internal barrel scrubbing as well with Shooters Choice, Sweets, and then Butch's gun oil. This lead me to another question...

Do any of you have any good ideas on how to clean your chamber? I thought about going to get a brush/swab for a shotgun?

I wanted to say too that this is really weird for me. I take meticulous care of this rifle and none of the others in the case showed anything. It truly has me stumped as to where the moisture came from. The only thing I can think of is if it got wet when we moved last winter. It was snowing when we unloaded that day and we had help. The gun may have gotten wet and no one told me.

I think I do everything right. When I clean it I use a bore guide and one piece coated rod, I use the best chemicals I know of. I oil the gun down after each season with one brand or another of gun oil. Am I missing anything? Remember, Wyoming is a very dry climate.

I use a slotted tip and put two patches through it and put it in the chamber, I twist it a few times and repeat until it comes out dry.

I have had rifles do that as well. The worst being a Wby Mark V that I took care of to extremes. What I found was that the rooms I was storing them in were not humidity controlled or had no vapor barrier (storage room). If the gun is stored in your basment and you have no frost walls (if its bare concrete, especially older houses) you can bet thats your problem.

Even the most well maintained rifles will have problems if stored incorrectlly for a long time.

Glad you, & a few others like it.

The only test/proof I need is to see are my own. I need not ruin anything else with further testing. Here's a couple examples:
I've seen first hand what happened to my bike chain, as a kid, after using WD-40. Or my concrete finnishing tools. Won't do that again either. I'm no scientist, but it sure seems to me that WD-40 is a rust magnet for anything it comes in contact with that is exposed to weather.
So, like I said, not within 20 feet of ANY firearm I own, or anything else I own that is exposed to the elements.

I'll use it for a door hinge (interior), some other interior hardware, & to keep stuff from squeeking. Nothin else.

Johnson's wax is good for your tools... my father-in-law uses it pretty religiously for his table saws, wood planes, etc.

And some folks use that on guns as well... Jack O'Conner did. So it has to be good, I guess. :)

Dan

I take 1 part of motor oil (any brand, any viscosity) so long as it's clean (I've used gear oil before) and 2 parts diesel fuel or keroscene and mix it together, I use a plastic milk jug.

I spray that on my cutter knives and exposed metal surfaces where the paint wears away on my farm implements, like chisel shanks, mower knife sections and disc mower parts so they don't corrode during winter storage.

Cheap and works well. I use one of those air/liquid mixing engine degreaser nozzles that Harbor Freight sells for 12 bucks.

Don't believe I'd do that to any firearm.....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.