help me with my rebuild ideas

rem700man

hey everyone im new on here and i need some advice on rebuilding my rem 700 .243 bdl. basically my plan is do a 700police clone in .308 with a mike rock 5r [m40 contour] and im been going back and forth trying to decide between sticking with the short action or getting a 30-06 action[with .308 bolt face] because im wanting to shoot either 190 or 210 vlds for long range hunting on whitetail deer and if i chose the la i could load the vlds out further and still be able to use the bdl b.m and not be reduced to a single shot. ive got a place out in the country thats a mile long by a half mile wide so i have room to stretch the legs out of this rifle, and ive ran some numbers thru jbm for the 208 amax at 2600fps[i have yet to run the #s for the 190 & 210 vld though] but i was curious if there would be any ballistic advantage if i chose the 190 over the 210? this is my first rebuild and i want to do everything right the first time so which route would be the most viable for me and would i be insulting anyone by trying to trade my sa for a 30-06 la straight across? ive come to the point were i cant make up my mind which way would be the best/easiest and still be safe. any help is very much appreciated

If you switch to a LA and keep the 308 round your going to experience feeding issues during rapid bolt manupilation. You can use vld type bullets with no issues if you have you smith install a wayats center fed mag box in your rifle.

Jon

im glad you told me that. i didnt think the la would cause feeding issues. ill look into that setup. anything else ishould know?

im glad you told me that. i didnt think the la would cause feeding issues. ill look into that setup. anything else ishould know?
30-06 and 308 have the same bolt face:D But seriously pick a good smith, there are a bunch here. Listen to there advice they know what they are talking about, get your bolt handle tig welded on and have a sako or m16 style extractor put on your bolt. Forget the 11degree target crown get a recessed crown. M40 countour is heavy just FYI I went small and I could not be more pleased. Read the artical on the 308 win on the home page its by a guy named Michel.

Jon

Oh ya never pay retail

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.