Help me understand competitive shooting

shortpants

Which type of competitive match would be considered a "hunter class" if you will? In other words if I wanted to compete with my large caliber hunting setup and compete shooting on the ground, (no bench) which type of competition would I attend? I've never been to a competitive match of any kind but have become obsessed with LRH and am looking for ways to improve my skills as a shooter. My next question is which one of you crack shots is going to sponsor me so I can afford this obsession!:D J/K I dont know the difference between F-class, Palma, Egg Shoot??? It's all chinese to me but sounds like a lot of fun. Does such an event even exist? I looked into attending an event here in AZ. a couple years ago but found out you had to be a member of the club to enter. I dont know if that is the norm everywhere but it turned me away pretty quick. I'd like to take her for a spin before I buy her.

Any info on local AZ. shoots would be appreciated but I am also not afraid of traveling if someone is willing to take the time to show me the basics, I'm willing to learn. I'm not talking shooting lessons but just shadowing somebody that knows what there doing at an event to learn about the match itself and basic tips.

Thanks, Jason

Last edited:
Jason,

I am assuming you will want to use a bipod, or a pack, for a front rest.

If so, then F-Class would be one good alternative for you to help improve your fundamentals and work on your set up. F-Class will give you instant exact feedback of where your bullet hits compared to your aiming point, and then you can gain a better understanding of what factors effected your bullet's flight.

I run matches in Missoula, MT including long range and F-class matches. We have in our program an unofficial "hunter class", where you show up with your "field worthy" rifle and shoot on the long range (vs the f-class) target. The X-ring on the LR target is 10 inches and if you are hitting that at 800-900-1000 yds routinely, then you are ready to shoot the official F-class targets (X-ring is 5" and ten ring is 10").

Match shooting really gives you a great opportunity to read the wind and see how it effects your bullet's drift. As you likely know, at 800yds, your bullet will drift anywhere from 6 inches to 10 inches (gross example) with a 2 mph wind pick up let off. Match shooting will let you see the bullets placement on the target immediately after your shot so you can correlate "what you saw" environmentally with where the bullet drifted to.

While match shooting is not training for hunting, it will improve your capabilities, fundamentals and help hone your equipment.

NRA LR/F-class matches are typically open to everyone, including non-members of the sponsoring club. You pay your entry and compete. If you ever get a chance to shoot a team match at long range, that is an even better chance to gain some helpful info.

Good luck,

JW

Thankyou so much for your response! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am going to try and attend some long range/ f-class matches this year. I have learned a lot from you guys on this site, I can't wait to get out and apply it!

Shortpants,

This is what you are looking for. It is a monthly match at Phoenix Rod & Gun Club. Next match is Feb 11. It's not your typical "match" like f-class, metallic silhouette or LR-tac, but it looks like it could be fun.

Hunting Rifle Shoot at PRGC

Went and shot this hunting rifle shoot in the link above today. I had a blast! This was the first organized shoot I have ever been too. While I would not really call it a long range shoot I would call it a very realistic hunting course. It tested my skills and revealed those stupid mistakes that tend to pop up in the real world of hunting. I have never, and I mean never practiced shooting from a knee or standing which was required a lot in this shoot. We started prone at 400yds, then on to sitting at 375, 300, 200, and several stations between 180-115 that were run and gun. There were moving targets, does, and small bucks to confuse us while the trophy bucks we were hunting would show up at random times and come in and out just like real hunting. The heard of javelina's that would switch positions and hide behind one another was a hoot. You had to make sure you only shot one of them. I want to thank Bill Poole for putting it on for us. I hope to make the next one!

Awesome! Sounds like a blast! I wish I still lived in AZ so I could give it a try.

Ok, now that you got your feet wet into the world of competition, and you see how much fun it is, you need to take your hunting rifle over to Ben Avery and shoot a match of Metallic Silhouette. The February match is tomorrow so that is probably a little short notice. The March match is on the 11th. If it is in your power it would behoove you to give it a try. It is by far THE best and most challenging rifle competition available. I'll be flying from Georgia to AZ in April for the Arizona state High Power Silhouette championships. It's that much fun!

Here is the website for the club that puts on the matches at Ben Avery. They are of course open to the public.
Welcome!

They also hold high power silhouette matches out at Rio Salado gun club and that match is next Sunday (19th). And lastly, they also shoot high power silhouette down in Tucson on the 1st Sunday of the month. ****, I am getting jealous. I just moved to Georgia and there is no high power silhouette in this state. It's killing me. I gotta travel to get my fix!

Here is a great website that explains Metallic Silhouette. This website is run by Jerry Webster who just happens to be another AZ resident.

http://www.riflesilhouette.com/

Give it a try! I haven't steered you wrong yet! :D

"I haven't steered you wrong yet!"

HaHa no you sure haven't! Thanks for all the great feed back it's exactly what I was looking for! I'll read up on that link.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.