Help me fill these scope needs

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by encoreguy, Dec 28, 2008.

1. encoreguy

encoreguy Well-Known Member

I want a mil-dot or ballistic plex, an AO to focus down to at least 25 yards, 10 to 16 top power, target turrets would be nice but not a must, a scope that could handle a centerfire in the future, matte finish, preferably in a less than 50MM objective all in the low $300 or less range. Any thoughts? It is going on a custom 10/22 for now and I cannot decide if I should go cheap or spend more money and get a mid range cost multipurpose scope.

I was kind of thinking Bushnell 3200 5-15 tactical with mil-dot and target knobs, burris fullfield II 4.5 X 14 with ballestic plex, buckmaster 4.5 -14 or 6-18 with mil-dot, clearidge XP 4.5-14, Muller or Millet. Then there are the cheap scopes Tasco, centerpoint, the fake Leupolds, Hawke (they have cheaper models don't know their quality), simmoms, others.

2. cabelas90

cabelas90 Well-Known Member

I have a center point 4-16 on my 204 ruger that works great holds a zero well and a focus down to 25 yrds. migth be a little over kill for a 10/22 though.

3. Jon A

Jon A Well-Known Member

Not many big-game/centerfire capable scopes with AO go down that low so it limits your choices. One that does (the only one that I've ever seen) is the Falcon 4-14X44, which goes down to about 10 yds.

Mine has lasted a handful of rounds on my 300 RUM and a couple hundred on my 7-08. I won't say it's a S&B, but so far so good especially when you consider the price.

4. esshup

esshup Well-Known Member

While I haven't had them on any centerfire, and the ones that I have are duplex, the 6.5-20x44 w/target turrets Simmons 44Mag riflescopes have held up very well on a couple of spring air guns that I have. I use the AO to rangefind, and dial up/down from 10 to 60 Yds. I used white tape and calibrated the AO, and added an oversized (diameter) top turret knob with the range in yds marked on it. All I do is get the target clear and crisp, read the range, dial up/down and send the pellet. Very accurate and repeatable.

I had to do this because the game that I was shooting wouldn't allow any rangefinders. (Field Target airgunning)

The 44Mag line isn't produced any more, but you can find them on line at the different auction sites.

5. CS T

CS T Official LRH Sponsor

For the price the Bushnell ELITE 3200 5-15x40mm Tactical Mil-Dot is very hard to beat. I have one on my 22 and it works great for this.

Mike @ CSGW