Help me determine what is causing my runout!

Press alignment is tough to measure and is unlikely to be the cause. A shade tree mechanic method of seeing if the threads on the top are straight with the ram is as follows.

I agree. I certainly have no clue. So I asked the Redding tech guys for some ideas at one point and the following was suggested:

"You can perform a test to see if the runout is caused by an equipment problem. Make a mark on the cases at the base. When inserting them into the shellholder, line the mark up with a certain point on the shellholder or reloading press. Then when checking concentricity, see if the mark on the case always corresponds with the concentricity high and low points."

Not a "high tech" type solution, but a way of possibly learning something about the alignment of the press.

WL

I agree. I certainly have no clue. So I asked the Redding tech guys for some ideas at one point and the following was suggested:

"You can perform a test to see if the runout is caused by an equipment problem. Make a mark on the cases at the base. When inserting them into the shellholder, line the mark up with a certain point on the shellholder or reloading press. Then when checking concentricity, see if the mark on the case always corresponds with the concentricity high and low points."

Not a "high tech" type solution, but a way of possibly learning something about the alignment of the press.

WL

Very good pont about the press---am ordering one today and having it shipped to Speedy where he will in effect Blue Print it. That is just about the last thing on my list of equipment related items to do.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.