Help Me Decide.....

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by RemingtonMagnum, Mar 31, 2009.

1. RemingtonMagnum

RemingtonMagnum Well-Known Member

I'm gonna be reloading some 7mm Rem. Mag. soon and can't decide what bullet to use. It's gonna be a long range round. It's gonna be either a Hornady A-max or a Sierra bullet. I'm thinking around 160 gr. I don't know if I should get a hollow point or full metal jacket or....? Which is best for long range? Thanks.

2. wheelgunner

wheelgunner Active Member

It depends about your rifle.
    The barrel specific, lenght, ecc. ... what your rifle prefer, you can find the better bullet/powder testing your ammunitions in the shooting range, and choice the best target result.

If you are looking for a ONLY paper-target long range round, you con take a look on the Match-bullet (Berger Vld, Sierra MK, Lapua Hpbt, ecc.) ... but if you are looking for a long range bullet to be good for Hunting too, there are others bullet to use (Nosler Accu/Ball.Tip , Barnes, Hornady, ecc.)

.... try, try, try .....

3. kiwi3006

kiwi3006 Well-Known Member

I am using a combination of 160 accubond and 162 a-max. I use the a-max past 350 yds and the accubond inside 350 yds. Both are loaded to 3060 fps.
    I have used the 162 a-max on four deer from 358 - 638 yds, all one shot kills, the only movement they made was falling to the ground. All but one were complete pass throughs.
    I have shot one deer at 98 yds with the accubonds, it was facing away, the bullet penetrated through to the heart but did not exit the animal.

I am very happy how this combination works.

Stu.

4. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

+1, this is exactly what I was going to recommend.

I use RL-22 powder and one of the above bullets (depending upon what I am intending to shoot). 160AB for Elk and large deer, 162gr A-max for extended range paper and varmint size critters.

AJ

5. roughneck

roughneck Well-Known Member

It's hard to beat an a-max for long range hunting. Just stay away from fmjs for hunting. This should save you miles of blood trails in the dark.

6. Buckmastr

Buckmastr Member

The 162 Amax's shoot really well out of my Sako 85. This was the first group I shot with them. Really long COL at 3.44".

[​IMG]

7. RemingtonMagnum

RemingtonMagnum Well-Known Member

ive decided to get the a-max. thanks guys! ill let you know when i get them loaded and if they shoot well for me.