help me choose

If your goal is 800yards, you will be doing it from prone, so an extra couple of pounds is not a big deal, and will actually make it easier to be more accurate with a heavier more stable platform.
If you go with a 10# rifle all up(with scope) the recoil will be better, shooting accurately to 800yards will be easier, and that is not that difficult to carry a 10# rifle. A 10# rifle can also easily be shot freehand for close range work.
My recomendation is to go alittle heavier than 7#. I don't think you would enjoy shooting the lighter rifle in a 338.

I had Shawn build me a 338 rum. I was looking for an elk rifle that was well balanced and rediably carriable. My goal too was to have a 800 yard gun that would shoot the 225 grain Accubonds or Barnes TTSX bullets. I spent alot of time talking with him as to my wants and needs.

This is what we came up with.

Remington action, Hart 26" #5 fluted barrel, HS Precision Pro stock, Wyatts box mag, DE brake, Nightforce bases and rings, Nightforce 2.5x10x32 scope with Velocity reticule and Zero stop.

The bare rifle came in right around 8-8.5#.

I got exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
+1 with trueblue on considering going up 2-3 pounds. IMHO I'd rather carry the extra weight if it makes shooting more comfortable and improve my ability to shoot more accurately.

From all the reports of the 338 norma in a short barrel that sounds like a good choice for a light 338. I have never shot one and can't confirm any reports though. Everything else I have shot quite a bit though and my choice in a light rifle would be one of the 338 lapua improved versions with the shoulder pushed forward a little. Since kirby does one of those and he is doing your rifle I think that is where I would go. It really depends on whether you are supplying a standard mag action to save a little money or going full custom with custom action. The 338 and 338-300 ultramags are your best choice off a standard magnum action. You will not notice a difference performance wise but the standard 338 ultramag feeds better through the action and over the counter products available when you need them with no extra fuss. The 338-300 ultramag was a great thing before the 338 ultramag came out in 2001-2002 time frame virtually making it obsolete. I did near a hundred of them in the late 90's and dropped it like most gunsmiths when the 338 ultramag came out because I couldn't see a need for it any more.

If you are doing a full custom with custom action then it is a no brainer going with one of the lapua improved versions which includes the norma. You wouldn't want to sacrifice performance and get something off the ultramag case when you are paying the price for a custom action. Just get the lapua bolt face and step up. In the short barrel there is no need to go beyond the lapua case and up to the 378 or 416 case. All you would be making there is a flame thrower as all that extra powder in those huge cases burns out beyond the barrel.

For comparison my personal 338 ultramag accuracy load I elk hunt with is the 225 accubond at 3264 fps. It will shoot 4" groups at 750 yards and I shot a nice 6x6 bull this year with it at 740 yards. It has a 26" stainless barrel 1-10 twist. The rifle without scope weighs 7-1/4 or so pounds. It is a rem 700 you can get at cabelas on sale right now for $569.

Last edited:
If this rifle will be used for hunting big bears in brush and close quarters then I would not want a brake on it. I would not want ear plugs in my ears while hunting bears and if you get into a quick shoot situation it will be very painful to your ears if you aren't wearing plugs. If you must have a brake, then I agree that a PK brake is not the way to go. Maybe you can get a thread protector and use it when hunting bears. I doubt you will notice it much when shooting it in the field, especially at a big bear.

With the weight limit, you are going to have a smaller contour barrel, so you will want a shorter one for stiffness and more consistant accuracy ( as well as easier for brush handling). To me that spells Lapua if you are hoping for 800 yds range someday.

-Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.