help me choose

zkodiak

i decided to have kirby make me a gun this will be a seven pound rifle now the choices. Would you pick a 338 ultra or the edge. Also is there anything i should have with this build. All info will be wonderful to have??

i forgot to say i will be looking at the bullet weight in 225 grain and when bear hunting the big browns i will step up to a heavier bullet.

Either would do well. The further the distance the more IMHO I would lean towards the Edge. Are you planning on going with a brake? I'm assuming your goal is 7 pounds with a scope, not saying it couldn't be done but...

That would be seven pounds bare rifle. i was looking at which would give me better performence in the 225 grain bullets. But also if i choose to shoot the big 300 i will have a good preformence. I will plan to shoot as far as my skill will let me take a good shot which i know that will get better with time.

If you are going with a 26" barrel , which I assume you are with your weight restriction , I would build the following 338's:
338 RUM
338 Norma
338 Lapua
If using a 28-30" barrel.
go with the EDGE.

Also, I dont think I would like shooting the 300gr SMK out of a 7# rifle.

Shooting the 300gr SMK out of a 7# rifle. That's why I asked if your going with a brake, heck even w/lighter bullets it'll have a nasty kick but some handle recoil better than others.

it will have a muzzle brake. My buddy has one in a just under seven pounds with a brake and with 225 it doesnt recoil to bad. My 375 h&h pushes harder and its at eight pounds. with out a brake. But i want the best preformance i can get.

Good to hear your going with a brake. Any particular brake in mind and what scope (assuming your going w/one) are you planning on?

I have a brand new vx3 in 6.5 to 20 lr and a new one in 4.5 to 14 lr i know i should put the 4.5 to14 on it for in close with bears if it happens but not sure on the scope yet. Might need to pick up a new scope maybe? For a muzzle brake fiftydriver sugested the pk brake if he builds it. But i dont want a big bulkey brake to get hung up on the brush. So I still looking for addvice on the build.

Thanks for you info
Zach Miller

Listen to Kirby he won't stear you wrong, the pk is awesome, others have commented favorably about them as well. Either of those scopes are at about 1 pound so that'll help in achieving a 7 pound rig. If you'd a said NF or similar weight scopes then that just makes the goal a little tougher.

7 lbs is really light and tougher than you think. Will normally rule out the 28-30" barrels also.

Regular 700 action is 2.5 lbs or so, barrel at 26" will be at least 3 lbs and only a couple stocks at 1-1.5 lbs.

NO way on the Lapua.

I would look at the RUM or the 338 Norma and stay with the 225 gr bullets.

BH

Just wanted to say thanks for the info!!! I know its a tough goal and i have learned that there is not a perfect rifle that does everything in my quest for a custom. I will be happy with a 800 yrd rifle but being new not sure if i can get this done in a rifle in 7 pounds bare rifle. That is why so many questions to see what i can expect out of a rifle like this or if i add half pound does that make a diference.

To take off on what BH has said then there's the scope, rings, base, brake and sling which is another roughly 2 pounds but maybe Kirby's got a trick or two to get ya close, don't know.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts