Help me choose an Allen Magnum

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by jeffwhip, Jan 10, 2010.

1. jeffwhip

jeffwhip Well-Known Member

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you all to bear with me as I ask my first set of ignorant questions. I'm selling my guns and other items so that I can buy one or two Allen Magnums built by Kirby. Here are some questions I have for all of you:

1. Is the Lilja barrel better than a Krieger barrel?
    2. How much do the 257 AM, 7mm AM & 338 AM weigh?
    3. What barrel length do most of you recommend for hunting?
    4. Does all the powder burn when the cartridge is fired?
    5. The 280 Ackley Improved is designed to be an efficient cartridge, are the three calibers listed above considered to be efficient?
    6. What kind of powder loads are you guys using to get the performance you are getting?
    7. What exactly is the repeater version of these guns? Is it a clip that fits into the gun?
    8. With the long case length when loaded, do you guys have any problems getting the cartridges to feed into the gun?
    9. Is there any way to get cases that are already made so I don't have to waste barrel life and fire-form them myself?
    10. Which NF Scope do you recommend? The 8X32 or 5X22?

Like I said, I'm just trying to get educated before I make a purchase and wish I had had it built a different. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Jeff

2. canderson

canderson Well-Known Member

Jeff,
    I would contact Kirby directly. He will answer any and all questions to determine what is best for you. He also might see this post and respond. I am patiently waiting for my 338 Allen. Good Luck.

3. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

I agree - call the innovator himself. In the meantime, though... $0.02.

Weight is largely independent of caliber/chambering. It'll depend on stock, barrel contour, action, barrel length, base, rings, and scope. Basically everything except except the chambering.
    Depends on the action you choose. Most (all?) of the custom actions are offered single-shot or repeater. And there are many makers of bottom metal that can be fitted to your action (Seekins, AI, Badger).
    What targets and how far away? Also, the 8-32x is only offered with a 56mm objective. That might be something to consider for cheekweld, rings height, etc.

4. jeffwhip

Thanks for the feedback. I'm waiting for Kirby to get back with me but I have so many questions I thought I'd try to get some feedback from everyone on the forum.

Jeff

5. MachV

MachV Well-Known Member

One thing to consider. The Allen mags are great hunting rounds and I'd sell my left nut (like its worth anything ;-( to have Kirby build me one. I would not however sell my CZ 223, 20PPC Savage, J action Savages or my 454 SRH to buy an Allen Mag....I like shooting way too much to waste a fine firearm on plinking,blasting and prairie dogs.
    If you only shoot a box or five of shells a year than ignor what I have just posted!!

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Just to wet your whistle before you talk w/Kirby. BTW, I've found email to be the best. Also if/when he sees this thread he'll respond.

My first suggestion would by to decide the specific application for which you want the rifle. Light to very heavy rifles may be configured for any of the AMs.

Hope this helps.

7. jeffwhip

Thank you for your feedback. I want a couple of rifles that I can hunt anything with. I've thought about getting the 7MM AM & 338 AM, then having a local gunsmith built me a 6XC or something like that that I can really put some rounds through.

I basically want to hunt anything from javelina to deer, antelope, elk, moose & bear. If I can be so lucky as to draw a buffalo tag I'd like to use a rifle for that as well.

Jeff

8. LewisH

LewisH Well-Known Member

An Allen Magazine Rifle with a NXS scope is heavy, so if you ordinarily lead a more or less sedentary life, be sure you start a vigorous work-out program weeks before you take it afield, even for a flat-land hunt.

That's what I'm engaged in right now. :)

9. jeffwhip

I'm used to carrying around a Weatherby with a Leopold Scope. How heavy is heavy?

10. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

How heavy is heavy? anything above 14 Lbs is heavy. 16 lbs is the upper limit for Idaho big game hunting. The APS rig on the way will run considerably above that limit. My 270 AM runs 12 lbs w/a Ziess Conquest scope and bipod. Marginal weight on the high side for trudging around the mtns but definitely doable.