Help me choose an Allen Magnum

jeffwhip

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you all to bear with me as I ask my first set of ignorant questions. I'm selling my guns and other items so that I can buy one or two Allen Magnums built by Kirby. Here are some questions I have for all of you:

1. Is the Lilja barrel better than a Krieger barrel?
2. How much do the 257 AM, 7mm AM & 338 AM weigh?
3. What barrel length do most of you recommend for hunting?
4. Does all the powder burn when the cartridge is fired?
5. The 280 Ackley Improved is designed to be an efficient cartridge, are the three calibers listed above considered to be efficient?
6. What kind of powder loads are you guys using to get the performance you are getting?
7. What exactly is the repeater version of these guns? Is it a clip that fits into the gun?
8. With the long case length when loaded, do you guys have any problems getting the cartridges to feed into the gun?
9. Is there any way to get cases that are already made so I don't have to waste barrel life and fire-form them myself?
10. Which NF Scope do you recommend? The 8X32 or 5X22?

Like I said, I'm just trying to get educated before I make a purchase and wish I had had it built a different. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Jeff

Jeff,
I would contact Kirby directly. He will answer any and all questions to determine what is best for you. He also might see this post and respond. I am patiently waiting for my 338 Allen. Good Luck.

I agree - call the innovator himself. In the meantime, though... $0.02.

Weight is largely independent of caliber/chambering. It'll depend on stock, barrel contour, action, barrel length, base, rings, and scope. Basically everything except except the chambering.
7. What exactly is the repeater version of these guns? Is it a clip that fits into the gun?
Depends on the action you choose. Most (all?) of the custom actions are offered single-shot or repeater. And there are many makers of bottom metal that can be fitted to your action (Seekins, AI, Badger).
What targets and how far away? Also, the 8-32x is only offered with a 56mm objective. That might be something to consider for cheekweld, rings height, etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm waiting for Kirby to get back with me but I have so many questions I thought I'd try to get some feedback from everyone on the forum.

Jeff

One thing to consider. The Allen mags are great hunting rounds and I'd sell my left nut (like its worth anything ;-( to have Kirby build me one. I would not however sell my CZ 223, 20PPC Savage, J action Savages or my 454 SRH to buy an Allen Mag....I like shooting way too much to waste a fine firearm on plinking,blasting and prairie dogs.
If you only shoot a box or five of shells a year than ignor what I have just posted!!

Just to wet your whistle before you talk w/Kirby. BTW, I've found email to be the best. Also if/when he sees this thread he'll respond.

My first suggestion would by to decide the specific application for which you want the rifle. Light to very heavy rifles may be configured for any of the AMs.

I'm new to this forum and would like to ask you all to bear with me as I ask my first set of ignorant questions. I'm selling my guns and other items so that I can buy one or two Allen Magnums built by Kirby. Here are some questions I have for all of you:

1. Is the Lilja barrel better than a Krieger barrel?
I don't know. I have no Krieger experience. However, the 3 groove barrel on my AM is exceptional.
Varies on personal desires and mechanical consideration
3. What barrel length do most of you recommend for hunting?
The theme of this Site is LRH, thus 30" at least, except for those cartridges where nothing is gained for extra barrel lenght beyond a certain length.
4. Does all the powder burn when the cartridge is fired?
If it doesn't the barrel is too short or the wrong powder is being used.:) Mine only uses ball powder and it ALL burns.
5. The 280 Ackley Improved is designed to be an efficient cartridge, are the three calibers listed above considered to be efficient?
Who cares about efficiency? A top class dragster is very inefficient, but it gets down the track fastest.:)
6. What kind of powder loads are you guys using to get the performance you are getting?
The smaller cals. are usually ball powder burners. Stick powders may bridge at the neck causing pressure issues. With light for cartridge bullets, 150 class bullets in 277, 7828ssc works well with no bridging problems................yet..,
7. What exactly is the repeater version of these guns? Is it a clip that fits into the gun? Answered in above reply.
8. With the long case length when loaded, do you guys have any problems getting the cartridges to feed into the gun?
If Kirby makes it, hell no. You'll have no feeding problems. Mine is a single shot configuration on a Rem 721 action and can eject a loaded round. Any longer COAL and I'll be in a bind. (is that a pun?:rolleyes:)
9. Is there any way to get cases that are already made so I don't have to waste barrel life and fire-form them myself?
Barrel life is not wasted if the Cream of Wheat/Cornmeal method of case forming is used. I does use up primers though.

The rifle I have on order will have APS fire formed and properly head stamped cases with it.
I own only one NF scope, which I have yet to lay my eyes on. It will be delivered on the rifle. I have used and shot the ones you have mentions plus some others. I ended up choosing the 5X22 56mm NXS.

The only down side of the NXS is if one is concerned about overall rifle weight. Weight must be the trade off for having a 110% confidence in the scope when its time to make that once in a life time shot.

Like I said, I'm just trying to get educated before I make a purchase and wish I had had it built a different. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Jeff

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your feedback. I want a couple of rifles that I can hunt anything with. I've thought about getting the 7MM AM & 338 AM, then having a local gunsmith built me a 6XC or something like that that I can really put some rounds through.

I basically want to hunt anything from javelina to deer, antelope, elk, moose & bear. If I can be so lucky as to draw a buffalo tag I'd like to use a rifle for that as well.

Jeff

An Allen Magazine Rifle with a NXS scope is heavy, so if you ordinarily lead a more or less sedentary life, be sure you start a vigorous work-out program weeks before you take it afield, even for a flat-land hunt.

That's what I'm engaged in right now. :)

How heavy is heavy? anything above 14 Lbs is heavy. 16 lbs is the upper limit for Idaho big game hunting. The APS rig on the way will run considerably above that limit. My 270 AM runs 12 lbs w/a Ziess Conquest scope and bipod. Marginal weight on the high side for trudging around the mtns but definitely doable.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.