Help me build a 7mm-300win mag or 7mm Practical

SOUTHTEXASBOY

I need your help with a full custom build. I want to build a 7mm-300 win mag, or 7mm practical. Yesterday I order a Bartlein #7 MTU 28" R5 rifling, 6 flutes, with a 1in8.75 twist. I'm about to order a Defiance deviant tactical long action. I'm thinking about going with a XLR Carbon chassis, AI 338 cip magazine so don't have to worry about the OAL. I shoot around sea level but I do go mule deer hunting in New Mexico around 6000 feet. I would like to shoot the 180gr Berger hybrids, most of the stuff I would shoot would range from coyotes to deer and hogs up to mule deer and maybe an elk in the next couple of years. I think the 180 Berger hybrid would be enough for those animals but I may jump up to the 195 bergers if I was going to hunt the bigger stuff.

Does everything sound right so far?

Would I need to go to a different twist being a sea level to stabilize the 180 hybrids or maybe the 195 bergers?

Can anyone recommend a smith that has built one for you, or that has a reamer that would work for the 180 hybrids or 195 Berger?

It will be about 5 months before all the parts get here so I would like to try to get on someone's list here pretty quick because most of the good smiths have a 4-5 month lead time.
Thank you for any input you might have. I have never built a custom gun from scratch but I'm already ready for it to be finished

Sounds like it oughtta be a shooter. However, I did notice one thing that drew my attention... Are you positive that a .300WM case will reliably and properly feed through a 338 magazine designed for the much wider Lapua cartridge?

I'm at 250' ASL, and I stabilize the 180 Hybrids in my 9.25" twist 7mm STW. I think a 1:9 is what is recommended for the 180 Hybrids, so you should be fine with the 8.75 twist.

Well I have talked to a couple smiths and from what they have told me the only thing I need to do is bend the lips in a little to function right.

Does anyone have and first hand experience doing this?

The recommended twist for 195's is 8.25. I think the 7-300wm is a little low on capacity to see a gain with 195's. The next step up, ie 28 Nosler/7RUM/etc is better IMO.

Do you guys think that the MTU at 28" is going to make this gun so front heavey that it will be hard to carry? I'm going to get the XLR Carbon chassis with the 15.5 hand guard so the sling will be as far up the barrel as possible so it should help a little. I just don't want to make it so front heavy that it's a pain to carry when I would have to hike with it. What are everyone's thoughts?

It will be hard to carry. That is 7-8lbs of barrel. I wouldn't go heavier than Heavy Palma (6.5lbs at 30") and a Medium Palma or Sendero contour would better for packing it around.

The barrel contour is to heavy if you plan on carrying this rifle for any distance.
Also, if you plan on shooting the 195's, I would bump my case capacity up to the 28 Nosler, or a 7mm based on the 300 Norma case(requires Lapue bolt face)

Ok I will call Bartlein and get them to change it to a Sendero contour instead of the MTU. Do you think the Sendero contour will be stout enough for a suppressor? In regards to the 28 Nosler, how are people doing with the 180 Berger hybrids, not a lot of info on them because most everyone is reloading for the 195 Bergers. I wouldn't mind jumping up to the 28 with the 180 hybrids, I don't think I would necessary have to shoot the 195 being that most the animals I hunt are relatively small, and I would only hunt mule deer and elk maybe once a year or every other year. I mean the 195 would be great for the exta BC to buck the wind but would it be worth it? I wonder if the 180 hybrids over a conservative load with the 28 would help extend barrel life? Or should i go with the 7mm Practical or something else. I would like to get the 180's going about 3100 or so.

I personally shoot the 180 gr Berger hunting VLD's , and see no advantage to go to the 195's for any distance under 1200 yards.
Also, I think the 195's take a 1:8 X or better if I am not mistaken

The sendero contour is plenty heavy for a suppressor. I think an 8 twist 28 Nosler would be hard to beat for what you want to do. 180s at ~3200 or 195s at ~3100

It would be a nice setup IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.