Help me a pick a 338 chambering

stevescg80

I have all my components together to build a rifle in 338 I have a Remington 700 long action that I have already blueprinted. A stainless badger lug and a sweet looking brux barrel blank 9.3 twist interrupted fluted finish at 27" in 338 and a hs stock. I already have an extremely accurate 338 edge and a really nice 338-06 ackley so I'm trying to decide what to chamber this in so I can get a reamer on the way as I do all my own machine work and chambering. So cost isn't an issue. So help me decide guys.

Have you considered an Allen Xpress or another Lapua improved version? Big boost in performance over the edge or standard Lapua (big boost is relative ofcourse)

It looks as if you have both the short and long range covered. I can't think of anything that the edge won't do. Unless your going real big then that 700 wont work.

Was leaning towards the lapua or the Norma not sure if anyone here is running a lapua imp in a 700 I there are I'd love to hear from them. It's a Palma contour barrel gun would finish around 11-12 lb range

Look into the 338-378 other than brass being more expensive than a diamond wedding ring i like the performance. Will shoot faster than the edge. Will be getting mine here soon.

I wouldnt run a .338-.378 on a remmy action. Not to say that the remmy's are bad, they just have limitations. I would go with the Norma, even thought the case is a litttle fat for the cartridge, it was designed with the m700 in mind. That or the .338 RUM. which I have and love!

I have to agree w/ Grit, Norma. I am not a smith and have been advised by 2 different smiths not to do Lapua on REM. action,then seen it done like Ward Brian on Norma and tons of shots down the tube. The Norma is nice fore me because it is efficent and has good capability. I would like to have one as just a shooter kick around gun,really help your long range game, when you just shoot the Crap out of something that is close to what you hunt with.And I am talking 1000+ PRACTICE

I'm just going to do another edge! I got it on the lathe and it's fitted to the action only thing left to do is run the reamer in and crown the barrel. My edge weighs 17.6 lbs unloaded and this one will be alot easier to pack. Will get some pics up when I get it up and running.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.