Help, light sling for hunting rifle

dig

All- Looking for some good light weight sling suggestions for a hunting rig. Something I can "Sling Up" but actually works to carry with even with a pack on. Suggestions and links would be greatly appreciated.

Take a look at the various Quake slings. They're typically about $25 at Bass Pro, Cabelas, etc. I've used them for a while now. My dad always used a leather military type sling in the past and hated the way the Quake looked. I bought him one and took it on a moose hunt last month. After the first day out, he kept complaining about his gun sliding off his shoulder all the time. I pulled the sling out of my pack and hooked it on his rifle. After the second day, he said the sling worked great, but he would rather have a different color.:rolleyes:

Dad and I bought the Ultraflex sling from this company several years ago at a local sport show:

www.sloganoutdoors.com

We absolutely love them. You can sling your rifle on your shoulder and both of your hands will be free, as the rifle actually stays right there and doesn't fall off. This was invaluable when climbing down a snowy mountain in the dark during our elk hunts. Dad also used his last week on an antelope hunt, and it worked very well to hold the rifle onto his back while crawling through the brush.

Watch his video:
http://www.bigbearhunt.com/SloganOutdoors/webaltraflex.wmv

I need to buy a second one now so my son can use one.
And no, I have no relationship with the company. I just really like the slings!

Last edited:
Thanks wondered if I would ever get replies to this! This looks promising how is the weight. I know I have looked at rubber slings and they tend to be way heavy???

Thanks wondered if I would ever get replies to this! This looks promising how is the weight. I know I have looked at rubber slings and they tend to be way heavy???

Not the Ultraflex I referenced above.
Very light. In fact, because of the way it holds the rifle to you, you will actually have the rifle dig into your upper shoulder less and your whole system will "feel" lighter.

I've never weighed my Ultraflex sling vs one of my leather or nylon ones. I suspect nylon may be lighter, but for a couple of ounces I don't care. I have not used any other sling in the past several years; all the rest of mine are in a box in my storage cabinet.

FYI, for elk I wear a daypack-sized backpack which also has a chest strap (goes across the chest to keep arm straps correctly positioned). The sling gets placed just inboard of the shoulder strap and the rifle does not move. See pack and rifle in the photo below. I'm holding on out of habit, but I often drop my arms and let the rifle ride. Also nice when I have to reach out and hold onto a tree on the hillside. Looking at the pic I probably have the sling a bit "looser" than in the company's video but it works fine for me.

Ordered the Slogan, will let you know how it performs in the feild and thanks for the assitance!

The slogan mentioned here has caught my eye. Have you tried it ? Anyone else care to comment on it?

I use the slogan sling also. I have the sling on a couple rifles and on the kids rifles. We wont
use anything else. The sling is light and is the only sling that absolutely will not slip off your shoulder, much stickier than the neoprene type slings or those with the grip padded areas. Got a bunch of leather, cordura, neoprene slings gather dust.

I have a Butler Creek Neoprene with the cartridge holders. And was looking for a sling for my new rifle and ordered the Slogan. Liked it and going to get another to replace the Butler Creek. The cartrigde holders are a nice feature on the B.C. but it doesn't stay in place like the Slogan does. For staying in place it does that better than any sling I have seen. I find frequent repositioning of a sling very annoying. The Slogan's grip very well. With the Slogan you can move the rifle on your back when needed where it stays. And doesn't go across your throat/neck like the other slings do.

Ive used the Slogan outdoors sling for years and swear by them. I cant say enough good things about them. they wont slip off your shoulder and work perfectly as a hasty sling to shoot from.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.