Help interpreting 600 yard results.

Tyler Kemp

I shot in my first high power match yesterday, a 600 yard prone match to try out for the Missouri Junior Highpower team. I made the team, and did "well" I was told, kept getting congratulated, but I'm not pleased. I shot a 178, 166, 177, 174. The conditions weren't the best, but I'm used to 190's in smallbore. I was using a new to me stock, DPMS AR-15. The sights really messed me up, I couldn't keep a good vertical group. Here is a typical target of yesterday, could anyone help me with keeping a tighter vertical dispersion? I felt I handled the wind pretty well, it was blowing a bit, but I really think I should have done better. The first couple shots I was finding my zero, I was high then adjusted too much, then I got in there better. My ammo had gotten sat in the sun by someone.

highpower.jpg

Is that prone unsuported?

Tyler

Nice group.

Are you single round loading? Are you shooting handloads or factory ammo?

I had a DPMS rifle that shot ok 1 1/2" at 100 yds and one day I got the urge to take it apart and clean it. I stripped it down to parts as I was taking the rifle apart I found allot of rusted metal shavings. The were everwere between the barrel and the front sight post inside the barrel nut and delta ring assembly. In short they were everwere they should not have been. I cleaned the rifle up and put it back together. I used the Marine corps armors manual for assembly guidelines.

I was shooting some John Teachey loaded ammo. 80 grain Sierra's? Since this was my first match I used this gun and ammo that I borrowed.

All loading was single round (match rules). It was prone unsupported, but other people using the same rifle, except with a aftermarket barrel were getting high 180's and 190's. I just have issues with sight alignment obviously.

vertical stringing

Tyler

You shot a real good group you got the vertical stringing from the way you were breathing. Your trigger control looks great. I bet with one or two more range trips to work on your breathing that group will shrink in half.

Is that your first match with the AR platform?

First match period, I'd never seen the gun before that morning. Never used a post sight either. I was having real vision problem, my vision is supposedly 20/15 or vice versa, but I was seeing double vision, having real trouble concentrating. A couple times I just had to sit the gun down and close my eyes for a while. They told me 6 o'clock hold was the most precise, but I just couldn't seem to get it right. After Camp Perry my coach will be back in town to work with me, I think shooting a couple hundred rounds will shrink things right down, but I was justing wondering if there were any "tricks" to the 6 o'clock hold.

Also, what glasses can help me possibly? I was having the fuzzy vision, although my vision is perfect (or even better)! I ended up shooting without glasses after the first string of 20 because they were making things worse. I realize I should have them on for safety, and so I don't get powder in my eye from the semi-auto action, but I just couldn't see a thing with them on. What are other devices I can use to help my vision and still be within service rifle rules?

well your off to a good start

You must have a darn good coach.

Well its hard to give you tips with out seeing you shoot but here are some pointers.

Make sure your noise is on that charging handle when I shoot my face is smashed right into my charging handle.

On the AR platform from the prone position if you are going to hold a full grip on the pistol grip try using the first joint on your trigger finger. I have big hands so thats what I have to do.

I use Okley M frame glasses they fit my face and wrap around so I can still get my face up close to the charging handle.

Dont worry or even think about the clock.

Rember to aim at the front sight with your eye and then put it over the target I have the same vision as you and I know what you mean with the eye strain try not closing your other eye and put some dark tape on your glasses over that eye.

It helps to be in good shape as well

Last edited:
Oh I'm in fine shape. I will try the blinder effect next time. I had my nose up on the charging handle. How do you keep your glasses from fogging up? I'll also try a bigger rear apeture, I don't think going a size bigger will hurt my centering ability.

Oh I'm in fine shape. I will try the blinder effect next time. I had my nose up on the charging handle. How do you keep your glasses from fogging up? I'll also try a bigger rear apeture, I don't think going a size bigger will hurt my centering ability.

Use the smallest aperture possible that brings the target and carrier into better clarity. On sunny days I use a .038", cloudy .040-.042. You'll know it's too small when you look through the hole and things aren't as crisp as they should be. Focus on the front sight post, and most people will tell you to use a 6 o clock hold, (pumpkin on a post). I was using a 12-o clock hold when I started and had the same issue with vertical dispersion. Switching to 6 o clock netted me a few more points, but i still suck. ;) It's one of the hardest disciplines to learn IMO.

PS get a good upper with dual pillar rear sights, a float tube (imperative), and removable hooded rear aperture. WOA makes a good one that's reasonable, also a trigger will be worth it's weight in gold. I run a Geissele.

PS, lights go up sights go up, remember that if you're shooting on a day with fast moving clouds. Also, I'm sure you're no stranger to the nerdy anschutz blinder hats, those help too regarding eye strain.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.