Help in my decision

rdd

I have a Ruger .223 that is one year old that shoots fairly well. It has a Swift 4-12x40AO scope on it right now. I got a gift certificate to our sporting goods store for $300 and I am debating whether to trade up to a Remington 700 BDL or, just keep the gun and put a better scope on it. I would be looking at a Nikon Monarhch or a Leupold Vari-x II 4-12x40AO.

Any opinions are welcome.

I would do both. Try to sell your current rifle/scope package and take that money and your gift certificate and have a new package. I am a die hard Remington and Leupold man, but you could buy a Savage for less than the Remmy and you would have some pretty good results. In my opinion you could have a $2500.00 rifle with a $50.00 scope and the whole package is worth $50.00, but you take a beat up old rifle (still good rifling) and throw a good Leupold on it and you will have something. just my .02

I've had this problem many times...Each time I decide to save a little more...Keep the savage...Save a few more bucks...Then get the BDL. Now you have two rifles. It's got to the point I have several rifles now. Ask yourself this? Do I really need the BDL right now!

Just a thought

Joe

You said Ruger? What kind?Does it shoot good?Whats wrong with it?Well i would say better what you have,new barrel,or a new scope.I don't like the Rem,the Savages will normally shoot better out of the box.So i'm saying unless you a lucky soul what you have,is as good as a new Rem.But if itchin for a new gun,and can't afford a GOOD one,start another piggy bank,to fix the one your fixxin to buy.

I Agree with thocon, dont settle on a gun, save up until you have the gun you want. You'll be happier in the end and remember that guns last a long time. You can take that investment over ten fifteen years and its not so much in the long run.

You also can't have too many guns!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.