HELP- I WANT TO IMPROVE ACCURACY OF MY SAKO!!

let's face it guys, this is not an issue of the gun is not adequit or accurate enough. a 300 win mag shooting 180 accubonds less than an inch? that is simply a big game killing machine. he's just like the rest of us, he has to mess with it.if you really want to be ready for those hunts, just buy 8 boxes of shells and shoot 6 of them in the field for practise before you go hunting. if you have to mess with the gun,you might try the tubb's final finish treatment. it's your best chance at improving a factory barrel.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions you have given me!! I want to personnally thank Kirby - I emailed him with several NOVICE questions and has politely answered them all, and he doesn't know me from the man on the moon - Thanks fiftydriver!!!

Here's what I have decided to do after all this great info:

My rifle was sent to Jim Borden (Pa guy not too far away with great references) for a complete "Borden" pillar bedding/action bedding. I had the McMillan "Edge" series stock that comes with aluminum pillars. Jim explained to me in detail what a real pillar bedding job is. Yes, I had aluminum pillars in my stock, but is wasn't PILLAR BEDDED!! He expalined that most of the time, accuracy problems are in the action or in the bedding of a rifle, and not always in the barrel. He said that his process uses alot of bedding material along with fiberglass pillars that he uses in his stocks.

I also relalized the money I would spend on a new barrel, trueing the action, and accurizing this rifle - I could use this money as a down payment on a truly built custom.

I also learned from Kirby that trueing the action and re-threading a Sako action is pretty much a nightmare due to the metric sizes used to build them.

When I get my rifle back from Borden rifles, I am going to try different factory loads too, and see if it will shoot 1/2" groups. I think the bedding job is going to help!!

I also think I need to get a little better scope mounting system - I don't have full confidence in Sako's Opti-Lok mounting sytem - too many "loose ends" in this sytem!!

Anyone try the older Sako Mount?? Also waiting to hear from Richard Near about when his stuff will be ready for a Sako 75 action!!

Man I thought archery was addicting!!!

Again - Thanks to all!!

I don't want to sound like a smart aleck but from here on out your time(and money) will be best spent shooting your gun. Find a range that lets you shoot to (at least)400 yds. Learn your scope, hold overs and clicks. If you can find someone to do some reloading give it a try. Your gun (even as it sat) was plenty good for any normal hunting in North America.

I've got a Tikka 30-06 which I have had for 15 years and it has always shot super good groups up to 700yds. Of course this was on prey, but this year I sent it out for a new custom barrel, with glass bedding and pillars and better bases for my scope. I'm using the Hornady SST light mag and at 100yds three shots in the same hole. Try out the Hornady. It may surprise you. With all this said technique is a big factor as well. You can have the best stick availlable, but if you have pour technique, well it won't make any differance.

Not sure what you are really looking for but you can tweak the current setup (ie lugs, trigger, crown etc) for under $200.

Anytime you rebarrel you chamber the blank so caliber is optional as long as the bolt faces match up on the cartridges.

suggest you go to Mark King or Bruce Baer in PA. both are top recommended smiths on www.6mmbr.com. Both have long history of building accurate hunting rifles and top notch 1k BR guns.

both are very reasonable and can do anything you want.

As long as the gun is shooting at least 1-2 loads sub MOA and reliable, not sure you may want to spend a lot of money on it.

BH

I have heard good things about Bruce Baer- he's not too far away from me!!

I am still looking for a good scope mopunting system for my Sako 75. I know Near makes a good one, but he is out of them and doesn't seem too interested in making them any time soon!!

Any other suggestions for mounting my scopes - I am getting desperate!!

Mag, you could try Glenn Seekins at seekinsprecision.com. he's a good guy and makes/knows a lot about scope mounting hardware.

where do you live? i'm not far from Bruce.

Dave,

I live in Greensburg now, but used to live in Harrisburg and still travel out that way alot.

Thanks for the info - I will definetly check Seekins out!!

If I can find a rail, do you think that Mr. Baer would drill and tap my receiver for it to fit?? Here in Greensburg, there are no riflesmiths that I would trust to do any work at all!! I'm going to giver Kirby (fiftydriver) a shout too - he has helped with some questions I have had- seems like a hell of a nice guy!!

300 MAG
You sure don't like your locale boys for some reason?

Some of the best longrange smiths might just live in PA.
You should go to one of the Williamsport matches, I've never been but they been shootin 1K matches for years.
Open competition really improves the rifles and shooters skill. You might also find a used custom at a good price!
And know how good it is by the targets it shot.

Maybe lookup Howard and Bobby Wolfe I know Howard is in the 1K benchrest hall-of-fame, Shooting his own guns!!!
He made me a rifle 4 or five years ago and it was OUTSTANDING.

Guns have been around for hundreds of years and most of the best improvments have been built upon others hard work its been a slow process and the groups keep shrinking.

Other improvments have been in the glass, bullets and computer program (mills, lathes)equipment avalable today.

Anyways sounds like your gun is doing OK for a stock stick.

"IMPROVE ACCURACY"thats what we are all working on!!!

CAM

300 MAG,

I have a Sako L691 that looks very similar to the 75. Reloading is the way to go & by the way the trigger adjustment is pretty easy. They do have a very sweet trigger. What a supprise it is every time the gun speaks!! Shooting 1/2" groups. The only thing I have done to the gun was lighten up the trigger & free float the barrel with some sand paper... Hard to beat a Sako barrel.

Mag, i don't think Bruce really does small gunsmithing stuff any more,only builds complete guns/rebarrels. besides, he left to hunt out west today.i would call Kevin Cram of montourcountyrifles.com 570-275-1698 good smith, good guy, lives about an hour or so's drive up the river from harrisburg.he could turn it around for ya pretty quick.

cam,

It's not that I don't "like" the Pa gunsmiths - I just don't know of any here in my area - I am new to this long Range stuff.

I know Jim Borden and Mark Basner make awesome rifles, but I don't think they mess with small jobs such as drilling and tapping a receiver. They are super busy building guns for their clients.

I really wish I would have had one of those guys buld me a rifle instead of buying these Sako's!! I was new to the game and really didn't know much about it. I have learned alot by reading, and by websites such as this one. The more knowledge you gain, the more you want to get into better equipment!!

I appreciate all the help and suggestions from everyone. I am a very picky person and I want the best equipment (no matter with rifles or archery)that I can afford - its just how I am.

Thanks again to everyone!!

300 Mag

Yeah, I know what you mean about the best you can afford. Most all of us are struggling with affordablity now days!!

I just thought it was funny when I was looking for the best in longrange shooting several years ago I ended up with a PA gunsmith because they were the best I could find for 1K guns.

Take care
CAM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.