HELP- I WANT TO IMPROVE ACCURACY OF MY SAKO!!

toader

I have a Sako 75 chambered in .300 Win Mag and it pillar bedded on a McMillan "EDGE" series stock. I would like to improve accuracy of the rifle and have some questions.

Will a new barrel (Lijla, Krieger etc...) help ?

Can a good Gunsmith "accurize" my action?

If I get a new barrel installed, is it easier to re-chamber at that point? (thinking .338 Win Mag)

Does Fiftydriver- Kirby do this kind of work? I don't trust any riflesmiths in my area!!

Please help - I am new to this, so I apologize if some questions seem way out there!!

Thanks guys!!

First off, what kinda groupings are you getting at what range?? Yes a lilja barrel and an accurized receiver will greatly improve your accuracy. Most of all you'll probly notice it to be a lot more consistent.

A little more information...

This is my hunting rifle -
*It shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yds with Federal Premium ammo(180 grain AccuBond)

*It is pillar bedded in a McMillan Stock

*Has a muzzle brake on it

*Swarovski AV 3.5-10x42 scope

I'm basically looking to turn this rifle into a "semi-custom" rifle. I have a cople of hunts booked over the next couple of years, and I want this gun to be "old reliable" - Accurate as I can make it without actually having a new rifle built.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated too!!

Thanks.

Well 3/4 groups with factory ammo aint bad. If you can reload getting closer to the lands of the rifle could tighten up the groups. Reloading can improve a rifle more than anything else as long as it is a good setup. Sounds like your rig is set up nice as is so I would say get to reloading and you can get her nice.

Steve

I agree with what the others say.

I would first try some reloading and with quality components and a good job you should be able to reduce your groups.

However, it is also true that an accurized receiver/bolt and a good quality button or cut rifled barrel will improve not just accuracy but what i guess is more important, consistency and therefore reliability. You do not just want your rifle to shoot a small group every once in a while, you want it to do the same always.

As for rebarrelling, you have to consider what kind of hunting you are going to do.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions and help!!

I am considering getting into reloading - especially with the cost of the ammo I am shooting - almost $40 a box!!

I think that I want to put a good barrel on this thing though. Is it hard/expensive to re-chamber a rifle when re-barreling?? Any suggestions on a riflesmith?? I sent an email to Kirby Allen, but haven't heard back from him yet. I don't trust anyone in my area!!

Well no one has said this but I will because it needs to be said! Your rifle may already have the accuracy potential you need---having a custom rifle built and shooting non tailored ammunition is like buying a Z06 Corvette and putting mud tires on it--IMHO

[ QUOTE ]
Your rifle may already have the accuracy potential you need...

[/ QUOTE ]
True enough. I wouldn't be suprised if the rifle saw virtually no improvement in accuracy after installing a new tube without tailored ammo. Of course, there is nothing wrong with going on a quest for the ultimate in accuracy. I wouldn't rebarrel unless I was prepared to go with a different mounting system, a change in reticles to compensate for drop (or a change in scopes), etc. But hey, go for it if you want.

[ QUOTE ]

This is my hunting rifle -
*It shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yds with Federal Premium ammo(180 grain AccuBond)

[/ QUOTE ]

do you think it was the gun thats "spraying" the rounds or the shooter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif jus kiddn', seriously though what exactly are you expecting out of factory ammo?

dont change a thing on your rifle and spend your money on a good "roll your own" package. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

have you tried these factory loads at any other range than 100yds? say 2/300+ to verify stability?

Well I am not sure what area of PA your in but I know for a fact that there are some good smiths out there. Not to take bread away from Kirby as he is a **** fine one as well. However, from what your reporting with your rifle, you already have a decent platform to shoot some great groups.

However, if your only shooting one brand or type of factory ammo, your already limiting yourself. There is some **** fine factory out there today and by just shooting one type of it your not seeing the full picture. The Federal load is a good one no doubts, but is this the only one your shooting? If so try a box of something else it might surprise you. My firend has several rifles that are shooting the Hornady Custom ammo outstandingly. So good in fact that he isn't even loading for them anymore as he can't touch the velocity nor the groups he is getting. Might be worth a try.

You mentioned having a couple of upcoming hunts, what is the intended game? What are the ranges you expect to shoot? Maybe we can help you out there on some other bullet options.

I have a Sako in 243 which I just shot for the first time about a month ago using the cheapest Win ammo I could find. I simply just wanted to see how the rifle shot, and get it on paper in ordder to develope some loads. Hell after putting three shots through one hole I will stick with the factory for now anyway.

I understand where your coming from, but do the numbers here a minute. Factory loads, if you have some which shoot to your desired accuracy, might at most run you a couple hundered for finding a suitable load, and then picking up several boxes of the same lot.

A reloading set-up will run you around 250, include dies, then throw in a couple pounds of powder, primers, and bullets and your at about 300. Then you still have to work up a suitable load.

Figure the cost of a new barrel having it put on and anything else you want done while it's there, plus the labor, and now your up around 600.

Now your sitting on at least a 600 dollar rifle, and still are not sure if it will keep under the 3/4" @ 100yds your already getting. IF not where do you go then?

I am not trying to bust your chops in any way. You say your new here and to this, and I am mearly pointing out sometimes overlooked details. If your hunting mule deer or elk within 300yds the rig you have now is totally capable of getting the job done. IF you try something else, and it shoots somewhat tighter, buy several boxes of the same ammo from the same lot. It is all marked somewhere on or inside the box.

However, if after everything your still looking to rebarrel, then I highly suggest one of the fellows from this site to do your work. Kirby, Shawn, and a couple of others have all done work for many folks here and all come with good references.

Good Luck on your hunts,

++1
Mike/TX hit the nail on the head!

There is a lot of data and pet loads for the 300 Win Mag.

JD338

Your rifle is very likey capable of 1/2 minute accuracy if you do three things: 1. read about and practice good bench shooting technique. Good habits used consistantly will likely cut your groups significantly. 2. Shoot only when conditions are PERFECT---even an undectable 3 mile an hour cross wind is going to open up your groups. 3. Try several factory rounds. I find Federal Premium excellent and have had stellar success with Hornady and I have read glowing reports about Black Hills. I would give up a little accuracy to get the bullet I wanted, though. Forget messing with the Sako----leave it stock. Doing all that to a "clean" Sako is like buying a mint original condition 67 Camaro, then putting mag wheels and and fender flairs on it---decent people just don't do it. If you want to go messing around, start over with parts supplied by your smith and let him build you a shooter. And after all that time and money you will be lucky if it shoots 1/2 inch. Not worth it in my book for your needs.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.