Help freezing a bear in Anchorage

dstark

I have a DIY black bear hunt coming up soon in Alaska. The one hang up I have is how to get a hide, skull, and meat frozen in Anchorage after the hunt. I'll only have 3 days after my hunt before I fly out to get everything frozen solid for the flight home. Has anyone found someone that will rent freezer space for a few days? Maybe a butcher? I asked an Anchorage taxidermist and he wasn't interested if he wasn't doing the taxi work.

I am planning on flying home with the frozen stuff in my checked baggage. With dry ice if necessary. Going to cut and wrap it myself when home and have my local taxidermist do the work.

It is generally cost prohibitive to freeze, pack and fly game meat home. Your hide can be salted and hung for a couple of days then rolled and packed for travel if necessary. You could have the local taxidermist just tan the hide and ship it to you as an alternative idea.
Regarding the dry ice idea - I would confer with the airline about this in advance. I'm reasonably certain that it is prohibited for one reason or another.

Ask Alaska Sausage and Seafood in Anchorage. I know they will pack and freeze fish for tourists, they may flash freeze your meat too. If you're planning on a rug and skull mount if you get a bear, I would recommend just having a local taxi do the work and ship it to you. On that note, Dahlberg's Taxidermy in Palmer does excellent work at a good price. I had them do 2 brown bears for me and the work is awesome and lifelike. Pm me if you have questions.

there should be a lot of butchers that can help you out over there, since its just for a few days, i paid 20$ per day for a deer once.

Got her done! C&J Tender Meats in Anchorage took care of me. I had everything boned out and he just boxed it up and froze the skull, hide, and meat for me for 3 days until it was time to fly out. I had forgotten to ask what he was going to charge but when I picked it up he said "no charge" and I was blown away so I bought him lunch! Great people over there!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.