HELP for Nikon on Elk

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by shinjin, Nov 26, 2012.

1. shinjin

shinjin New Member

Two years ago I bought a NIB Nikon Monarch 4-16, BDC, Side focus. Had it on a 243 and it shot fine, held groups and adjusted perfectly.

Just swapped it to a ruger No.1, 7 rem mag and problems started. Sighting in it started shooting Win 170 grainers (I think, not much sleep,but they are heavy). a

At 25 yards it shot a 3/4 inch group. Took to 100 yards and first try was a 1 inch, 3 shot group. THEN - it shot a 4 inch 3 shot group. Then a 1 inch for 2 shots and threw a flyer 9 inches. Two more groups like that with barrel cooling down between groups and a 50 degree low humidity atmo situation. Thinking it might be me I let another shooter try.

Rifle did the same for him??

Previously this rifle had a Leupold VXII 3-9 and shot consistent1 inch 100 yard groups with 150 grainers. I have heard of liking a certain load but not taking a disliking to it in the middle of a string!

HELP! I leave in two weeks!

2. Daveinjax

Daveinjax Well-Known Member

Have you double checked the bases ? Sometimes they will bind up and feel tight until you shoot and then jar loose. May find a base screw that needs another 1/2 turn or so.

3. bruce_ventura

bruce_ventura Well-Known Member

4 and 9 inch flyers? That's too much for a base problem. Sounds like a stock issue to me, but I would not rule out ammo, a dirty barrel or the scope. I'm not familiar with the #1. Does it care how the forearm stock is installed? What about the rear stock? I guess I would tighten all screws.

I would clean the barrel down to metal - alternating powder and copper solvents. I would clean and inspect the action too and check all screws.

Then I would properly torque the base screws, put the Leupold scope back on, foul the barrel and check group size. Use known good ammo for that rifle. Let the barrel cool a bit between shots. If ok, I would then install the Nikon and check group size.

That should isolate the problem.

4. shinjin

shinjin New Member

Thanks, I was hoping it was something I might be able to figure out.