Help! Extreme spread and standard deviation loads

I think 1" or less groups at 300yrds. Your done!

Agreed. I'm not a competitive shooter so once I get to that point, it's about correcting for gusts and hitting the bullseye...or trying to replicate it with another projectile.

What 918V said about consistency in recoil control and rear bag position is right on...and it gets more an more important as you move up the caliber/recoil scale. I really learned that as I moved from a 243 to a 7RM, and it makes sense since the bullet has not left the barrel until well after recoil against the shooter starts. I almost sold my 7RM until I realized it was my own inconsistency. And no, a led sled didn't help reach that conclusion. It was me getting scope bites sometimes and not others. Now I know my 7 is capable of well under 1 MOA groups.

I like to find a load that shoots reasonable well then run an OCW test not for powder changes but seating depth with a given bullet to see where the gun likes that bullet seated. Then I start my OCW testing for powder charges if all this can be done over a chronograph so much the better it will show you the low SD nodes that almost always line up with the best accuracy loads. The trouble is that at 100 yards your targets don't always agree with the chrony I am not sure why this is but I have seen it many times with myself it maybe a mental thing in fact I'm sure it is. When I find the low SD load it will more often than not be an excellent long range load. I trust the magneto speeds numbers more than my coffee shaking OCD $ss at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.