Help determining value

nosajpo

I am wanting to sell a rifle i have but have no idea the value of it. It is a custom rifle in .300 win mag built on an 8mm Mauser action. The action is a chinese mauser (based on markings on receiver, chiang kai shek )from around 1936 and is in very good condition. Rifle was built by Chris Horn in Flagstaff az. I do not know what barrel he used but it is a 23" barrel with muzzle brake stamped .300 winmag. Has a camo dipped synthetic stock and new trigger. Barrel has a few dings of unknown origin but gun still shoots good. Sub-moa with factory 180 gn ammo.

Anyone know the value of this or what i might expect to get for it? Not looking to make much but also dont want to get hosed. Just want to sell it for a fair value.

Thanks,
Jason

$350-650 depending on how fast you need to sell.

Have a look at gunbroker for similar rifles that have sold there.

-- richard

Thank you both for the replies. How much trouble (cost) is it to rethread the barrel to
Use on one of my remington 700 or 721 actions? Is it possible? The barrel is fairly new. Problem is that i inherited quite a few rifles and some are nice, some are not. I would like to build a nice rifle out of one of them and sell some of the others.

Rethreading the barrel from a Mauser to a Rem 700 isn't very practical since they each have a different thread pitch.

Unless.... you happen to have a long enough breech to cut off the entire thread tenon (which isn't very long on a Mauser).

Then, you can recut the tenon, re-thread, and re-chamber to fit your 700 precisely.

Of course, 23" is on already the short side for a 300 WM.

Even so, you'll likely need to rebarrel the Mauser for it to sell well. So, you might not save much unless it was an exceptional barrel. And, if you already know that to be the case, then I'd leave it as a sub-MOA Mauser.

-- richard

If it were me I'd just sell it as is and get what you can for it, or take it out and shoot it and see how it performs.

It will never have much sale or trade value, but if it shoots who cares, just keep it and enjoy it.

I doubt it's a "chinese' mauser, BUT probably used by them in the early stages of WWII. The early mausers are excellent actions, and if yours is in fact marked to show use by Gen. Chiang could be valuable. Take the rifle to a competent gunsmith or collector and get a few opinions.

If it were me I'd just sell it as is and get what you can for it, or take it out and shoot it and see how it performs.

It will never have much sale or trade value, but if it shoots who cares, just keep it and enjoy it.

Exactly.

I think he said it's sub-MOA with 180g factory ammo.

That, plus controlled round feed, makes it an excellent hunting rifle even if it doesn't carry a high street price or turn out to be a collector's piece.

As such, it's probably worth a whole lot more if a buyer was to shoot it first and see for themselves.

-- richard

Just a thought.. . Are you absolutely sure it's a Mauser action and not an 03 springflied action?

A good many 03 springfields were sent to the Chinese Army during WWII.

In the thirties the Chinese did however produce their own version of a Mauser so it could be either.

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1310

You might email the guy at the link with good pictures of the markings and ask him about possible value.

The markings on the crest of that chiang kai-shek mauser in the link are exactly the same as the receiver of mine. I did email him and ask. Thank you for the link. I will let u know what i get for a reply.

At this point i will probably take the advice given and just keep it for a hunting rifle. It is lighter than my other rifles and shoots nicely as well. Just dont really need another hunting rifle but o well.

The markings on the crest of that chiang kai-shek mauser in the link are exactly the same as the receiver of mine. I did email him and ask. Thank you for the link. I will let u know what i get for a reply.

At this point i will probably take the advice given and just keep it for a hunting rifle. It is lighter than my other rifles and shoots nicely as well. Just dont really need another hunting rifle but o well.
When you get a report on the history of the action, print it up and keep it in the gun cabinet. Someday it will mean something to your kids and grandkids.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.