*help* coyote loads for 6.5x284

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by btLRH, Jan 17, 2012.

1. btLRH

btLRH Member

Im new to long range hunting and just got a Savage LRH 111 in 6.5x284. With it came a box of HSM 140 grain VLD. (Berger 140 gr VLD). With this ammo I've shot two coyotes. The first didnt do too much damage of only about a 2 inch hole. But the hole on the second coyote was a whopping 7 inches. I'd like a bullet that would be fur friendly but not too sure what to get. Maybe around the 100 gr to 120 gr area. Just something that isnt gonna take the shoulder out of a coyote. I'm looking to get money for the pelts and dont really want to use a different rifle cause im in love with this one! I can now also reload my own so any data or info would be greatly appreciated!

2. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

The target version of that bullet has a thicker jacket and won't expand much.

3. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

a controlled expansion type bullet like a Barnes Tipped Tripple shock works very well on coyotes and doesnt come apart and blow big holes. They are also very accurate

4. btLRH

btLRH Member

What do you guys think about Lapua 144gr FMJ. I see that their BC is .636. And fmj definately shouldnt punch much of a hole out.

5. Tikkamike

itll definitley kill them, if your lapua is anything like mine its not really the ideal calling gun, mine is a little big, but it will definitley work

6. btLRH

btLRH Member

well im shooting the Savage LRH 111. so far i have no comlaints other then the stock.

7. Tikkamike

what is wrong with the stock? my buddy is looking at getting one, he might like to know what you think of the stock

8. btLRH

btLRH Member

they put on this coating almost rubbery. very thin. but with use it will wear off and then your stock looks like hell. but ive taken and put on some camo self cling wrap for protection...the rifle itself is amazing but with one minor flaw of the stock. i wouldnt worry too much about it. and ive looked into replacing it with an aftermarket stock but theres nothing...

9. btLRH

btLRH Member

The rifle overall is great. I mean its just the stock. they have put a rubberish coating on the whole stock. its pretty thin and with use it wears off in a flakish look. i've put some camo self-cling wrap on mine for protection. But i would recommend the rifle!

10. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

6.5X.284 and "fur friendly don't really go together. Tikkamike had a good suggestion. FMJ's may or may not do a lot of damage but if they don't, you'll want some good tracking snow. A coyote can go quite a ways with a pencil hole through him.

11. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

120 balistic tip or 123 scenar. h-4350. some thread. and a set of upolstery needles.

12. OKIE2

OKIE2 Well-Known Member

Try 123 a-max .510 bc may work for you

13. ODAVID

ODAVID Well-Known Member

I would consider getting another barrel with a caliber that is more fur friendly. you could then switch barrels and have the best of both worlds. Takes some work but is doable???? this opens up many more possibilities. I recommend this as another option.

I read what you said about not wanting another gun but I am saying consider just another barrel and switch to that one when predator hunting.

That is what I would do if I was you.

ODAVID

14. soldierofchrist

soldierofchrist Member

139 scenar is almost like shooting a FMJ, lol