Help Choosing Scope

xj92

I'm just getting into long-range shooting and am setting up a new gun. I got a new Remington 700 Sendero 7mm Rem Mag (SFII). I'm now starting to research what scope to get.
There are two directions I might go with this:
  • One, I would like a scope that will allow me to hit any large game out to 1000 yards. I would prefer some type of low-profile target turrets. I'm dreaming of a higher-end scope, Leupold? Nightforce? From what I've read it seems that a 30mm tube would be more appropriate than 1"? I haven't decided on anything yet.
  • Two, I have an older Mauser 30-06 that currently has a $50 Tasco 2-8x scope, so I might buy something in the $100-$250 range for the 7mm mag and switch it over to the 30-06 down the road when I buy my dream scope. If I went this route, I'd still want a scope that would be accurate, reliable, hold it's zero, etc. I could probably live without the target turrets, 30mm tube, etc. I could even go for a fixed power scope . The idea would be to at least have an accurate scope to use for now and pass on to upgrade the 06 later.
Eye relief is a big deal to me also, the more the merrier (around 4-4.5"). I just want to hear some opinions on different scopes, preferably first-hand opinions.

Of course, a lot will fall under the "personal preference" category here....but I vote Nightforce all the way.

I went through the ranks from a simple BSA, to Simmons, to Sightron, to Burris Black Diamond....and ended up with a Nightforce. I love it.

That's just my humble opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.