help 6mm 284

pit bull

i need to know the easy way to prepare the brass can i take a 284win run it through 6mm-284 die trim it to 2.155 and thats all i hope got the info from chuck hawks website is that correct

i need to know the easy way to prepare the brass can i take a 284win run it through 6mm-284 die trim it to 2.155 and thats all i hope got the info from chuck hawks website is that correct

pit bull,
dont be in such a hurry!!!!!!!!! first off welcome to LRH. 2nd you dont want to make your brass from 284 Win brass, use 6.5x284 Lapua brass, is your rifle a tight neck chamber ???????? a little more info please.
UB

Definetly forget about using 284 brass

I and others simply run 6.5x284 brass thru the 6x284 die and presto your done. I think its the simplest Wild cat to load for plus you get an awesome return for your efforts.What load are you shooting? I can push 70 gr missiles right at 4,000 FPS with under 1/2MOA. Love that cartridge.

If you want to chase the velocities listed on the Internet for the 6-284 you will need to use Lapua brass. The Norma brass is very good and if you load to sane velocities it will work for you. My 6-284 is a pain to load for so if I wanted to load for sane velocities I would shoot a 243, 243 AI or one of the other milder 6mm's.

If you want to chase the velocities listed on the Internet for the 6-284 you will need to use Lapua brass. The Norma brass is very good and if you load to sane velocities it will work for you. My 6-284 is a pain to load for so if I wanted to load for sane velocities I would shoot a 243, 243 AI or one of the other milder 6mm's.

Why is your 6x284 a pain to load for? What BBL? Twist? What is working for you currently?

Iron Worker,
My rifle is a M70 with a 30 inch ABS wrapped Rock 5r 1-8 twist. 107 grain SMK's shoot great with H4350 powder but I get pressure at 3150 fps with this load. I might as well shoot a 243. I've shot RL-22, RL-25, Retumbo, H4350, and 4831 powders with 87 V-Max, 107 and 115 SMK(DTAC), 95 B-Tip, 105 and 110 Wildcats, and 105 A-Max. The A-Maxs shoot great at 3275 but blow up after a few rounds. The Wildcats never got to the target at 3100 fps and nothing else will consistently do better than 3/4 of an inch. Even when I've gotten decent groups at 100 yards the SD and ES are always bad. The SMK is a decent bullet out to around 600 yards so I shoot these because I'm tired of shooting out my barrel for mediocre loads. I've got some 105 Bergers so I thought I might try these. A slower twist with lighter bullets going like hell seems to be less picky from what I've read.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts