HELP!! .308 wont cycle . New gun !

haywire05

Just bought my first long range gun from a supose to be reputable person . The clip locks in but the bullets wont cylce out of the clip into the chamber . Any suggestions ? Contacted the builder and he said " worked when it left here " . Which is crap just got it and went to shoot it . Really ****ed off . Have pics of what i think might be wrong .
c3a1clipmount2.jpg

Is there suppose to be a gap between the metal pieces. The bolt wont pick up any rounds . When I cycle the bolt the bullet is a good 1/16 below the bolt .
c3a1clipmount.jpg

haywire, sorry but from the pics, I can't tell what you have there.

What action, stock, and bottom metal/clip is being used.

Take a pic of the clip in position and loaded, from the top with an open bolt and of the bottom where it fits the bottom metal frame.

Just don't make the shots so tight.

Is this a removable magazine/clip? Or a drop style hinged floorplate?

May-be we can get you fixed up if we have some more info.

Sorry Coyboy . The action is a parker hale as well as trigger and factory clip . it is removeable clip . The pics are looking from the bottom of the clip up into the stock . The bottom pic you can see the trigger . I believe what iam trying to say is this is the magazine box ? Sorry not good with terminology yet . Will go out to shop and take pics right now .
misciphone062.jpg

Jim new turn of events . Put the gun back together ,but still wont cycle . but when I applied pressure up on the clip from the bottom with my hand there is that 1/16 or so "play" that the clip comes up and allows the bullets to cylce . Is there any adjustment that I can do to tighten up the clip or make it seat up farther in the "clip holder" . I took pics and well post bit not that good as they are with my i-phone . Cheers Jason
c3a12.jpg

Contacted the builder and he said " worked when it left here " .

If I was to sell a rifle and the person had problems with it, I would tell them to bring it back and we would figure out what the problem was.
It just seems to me that the guy is too dismissive.

I would take it to another gunsmith to see what they say, it is very hard to see what may be happening in those pictures.

But you never can tell, someone might have had that same problem with those same components you have.

My guess is that that the bottom metal needs to be inletted just a tad bit deeper so that the clip retainer is closer to the bottom of the action. Eliminating some of the free play by holding the box up to the bottom of the action. Thus allowing the magazine to come up high enough for the bolt to pic up the cartriges.

This guy who sold the rifle, did he do the inletting for the action to stock fit?
I seem to doubt that the parker hale action would be inletted by McMillian, but may-be I'm wrong.

If you could make a spacer to force the magazine retaining box in the up position, that may solve the problem, without you having to do major stock alterations.

Or call the guy back and see if he'll make it right. if you don't trust him, or if it's more than you can handle your self, find a good smith to take a look at it for you.

My guess is that that the bottom metal needs to be inletted just a tad bit deeper so that the clip retainer is closer to the bottom of the action. Eliminating some of the free play by holding the box up to the bottom of the action. Thus allowing the magazine to come up high enough for the bolt to pic up the cartriges.

This guy who sold the rifle, did he do the inletting for the action to stock fit?
I seem to doubt that the parker hale action would be inletted by McMillian, but may-be I'm wrong.

If you could make a spacer to force the magazine retaining box in the up position, that may solve the problem, without you having to do major stock alterations.

Or call the guy back and see if he'll make it right. if you don't trust him, or if it's more than you can handle your self, find a good smith to take a look at it for you.

+1
It looks like it needs In-letting deeper either from the bottom or the top .

He may have bedded it to high also.

Either way Cowboy is right and the "Smith" should fix it.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

I had the same problem with a Tikka that was custom bedded. Like yours, if I held the magazine in tightly with my hand it would feed, but if not, the bolt would ride over the top of the case. It was returned to the original smith ultimately set the bottom metal in a bit deeper. My guess is that the bedding was thick enough to raise the barreled action enough to cause the problem. You couldn't see that it was raised but I believe that is what caused the magazine to sit far enough away that the bolt would frequently ride over the cartridge rim.

I believe that is exactly what has happened took it apart only to find the bottom metal was all epoxied in .what a mess in trying to get this out . Still trying to get it out . Who does things like this half assed when you spend that type of money .

thamks for the help guys would send back to the original smith but he is 3000km away and not waiting any longer . I guess lesson learned . More research next time .

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.