Hello from SW Washington

want2shoot

Hello to all. I've been reading this site quite a bit lately trying to gain knowledge in long range shooting. I must admit, I have not shot rifle that much. I started off hunting black powder for elk, deer, and bear. Then I switched to archery for elk. Now I hunt archery elk, and rifle deer.
So, I've been putting together a rifle for long range deer, antelope, and possibly other big game.
Right now I've got a Remington Sendero SF ii in a 300 RUM topped with a Leupold VX-III 4.5 - 14 x 50 LR with Boone and Crocket reticle. With a Harris Bipod.
So far it looks good, but I haven't shot it!!!
I'm second guessing my scope choice after doing some reading on this site.
Do I want a good "hunting" rifle that is SOMEWHAT accurate out to 600 yds or do I throw on a nightforce NXS 5.5 - 22 x 50 and have a great first time Long range target rifle?
Is there a way to set this up so it will work good for target and hunting?
Was thinking of different turrets for my leupold or BDC turrets.
I know I have a thousand questions, but I just want to do this right the first time around.

I thank you in advance,
Kevin

Welcome to Long Range Hunting Kevin.

Your Leupold will do the job for you if you're just getting started. If money is an object, you can send it to Leupold and get target turrets put on it and have in back in about a week total. I've had this done before and it works out well. I think I paid about $110 for the last one I had done but that was 2 or 3 years ago.

Then, in the meantime, you can use your Leupold and then see if you still want to spend the bucks on a Nightforce. I use a NF and love it.

Or you could just pop for the NF now and be a very happy camper.:)

If you have further questions try them in the General Forum or something similar as you'll get a lot better response there. Not everybody reads the Members Intro forum.

Good luck with you new gun

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts